Camshaft advice

wallaby

Hey you guys that call experts and have cams recommended, or custom ground: who do you call?

I'm thinking I might benifit from a better matched camshaft, and could use some input from someone who really knows. I sometimes think I know what I'm talking about when it comes to cam specs, but I'm entertaining the thought of going roller maybe...and roller numbers are like in a different language.

I'm still not decided on the flat VS roller thing. Sometimes my wallet makes the decisions.

Do you call Chris? or Harrold?.. Who?

You could try Straub, I know the big guys like Lunati or Comp will also make custom grinds.

This guy is well known in the speed community, I'd at least call him:

Mike Jones

Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC

www.jonescams.com

(704)489-2449

Roller is probably best, but it does cost an extra 500 bucks plus however you decide to do the cam button. Plus you need to think about distributor gears and fuel pump pushrods and springs.

I don't think there is the HUGE difference that people lead everyone to believe between flat/roller, you can still make plenty of power either way.

Like you said, is 10 or 20 HP worth 500 bucks to you? I don't know, depends on your goals and how you use it. If you go with a roller, you can go bigger than you think and still have the drive-ablity/vacuum/idling.

Mark no question going to go roller you will have to spend a few bucks. Is it worth it? I think that's just a matter of what feels good to you. As Justin mentioned there's no magic power improvement but there are mechanical advantages. Obviously less friction, better stability, more advanced grind opportunities and no break-in worries to name a few.

All the manufacturers have gone that route for a reason, it's simply old verses new technology. As you know it's a package so the entire valve train needs to be changed out. If you decide to go for it let your brain and not your wallet do the thinking, buy good stuff or don't do it! No one cam can do it all but going custom will allow you to get specifically what you want for your car. Knowing you I think you would enjoy the experience of coming up with something that matches your thinking and goal. Cam companies use a simple marketing strategy, they want to sell you 4 cams before you get the one you really need, they've been using that for years.

I would say Chris Straub, he's easy to talk to, very customer oriented and really knows design (I was schooled on how many ways you can measure duration). I consider him a friend now and what he did for my car was simply amazing.

JMO.....his main phone is (423) 854-0007...his cell is (423) 773-4090...Dave

Ok, all I know is his name. What does he do? Does he have a business, or is he a member here? I'm just trying to figure out why he'd be glad to help me with my silly questions.

yes he has a business. the difference is you'd be talking to the guy who will design your cam, not a random tech at some brand company. He also makes parts for some of the other cam and aftermarket companies (like Edelbrock). He also reps about every worth while performance company out there. He will be happy to help you because he is a cam guy, not a sales guy...

http://www.straubtechnologies.com/index.html

Chris is a great guy with lot'sa knowledge in cam design. I spoke to him a while back about roller lifters and his suggestions. He took the time to talk to me and gave me my best option.

I have also had luck with Cammotion. These guys are really sharp and can custom grind you a cam for not much more than you would pay for an off the shelf grind.

David