1,200 miles/ 1 1/2 quart later

LuckyKenny

You can do the same test with a compression gauge and some motor oil. Run the cylinders, record the readings. Then pour a tablespoon of oil in the spark plug hole and look for a higher reading. Higher readings would indicate ring wear, no change indicates valve seats/seals.

You can do the same test with a compression gauge and some motor oil. Run the cylinders, record the readings. Then pour a tablespoon of oil in the spark plug hole and look for a higher reading. Higher readings would indicate ring wear, no change indicates valve seats/seals.

Man.. there's a heck of an echo in here lol

Man.. there's a heck of an echo in here lol

The difference is no compressed air source requirement for the wet and dry compression test so I can run it on his car down in Old Town during the show if he is willing to remove the plugs.

the problem is you can't compare leakdown rates with a compression gauge unless you are lucky enough to have one that doesn't 'hold' the peak reading.

the problem is you can't compare leakdown rates with a compression gauge unless you are lucky enough to have one that doesn't 'hold' the peak reading.

Same results but I can do it on the road without a compressed air source. I have used a compression gauge this way several times in the past with 100% accuracy. Not to say that a leak down tester doesn't have it's uses but for kenny's problem I should be able to diagnose it quickly at the car show with minimal effort.