rear end

youngmonte71

I am wondering which is better posti track or limited slip? im building a 400 sbc for about 450lb and 420hp with a 700r4 with a lockup converter, and im planning on running 3.73 gears, so which would be better posti or limited slip? i drive it during the week and drag on the weekends.

Positrack, is just another name for limited slip.

Limited slip: uses clutches to attempt to make both tires maintain traction in a straight line. The clutches will slip as the car goes around a corner.

Locker: uses a ratchet type device to maintain traction in a straight line, while cornering the 'outside' tire ratchets ahead of the inside tire. There is some noise with a locker but not too bad. Powertrax makes a locker type of unit that fits in an open carrier.

Spool: Spool both tires always move a the same speed.

DavidTx: with a 700r4 and over drive 3.55 is really the lowest you want to go. any lower and you run into issues with the engine wanting to turn Too slow.

I run 2250rpm @ 70mph with 3.55's and 27.01" tall rear tires. (255/60-15) (with the torque converter clutch on) (toggle switch)

i can only JUST use o.d @ 55mph and definitely not locked. and i have a mild 350 that makes excellent off-idle torque.

DavidTx: with a 700r4 and over drive 3.55 is really the lowest you want to go. any lower and you run into issues with the engine wanting to turn Too slow.

I run 2250rpm @ 70mph with 3.55's and 27.01" tall rear tires. (255/60-15) (with the torque converter clutch on) (toggle switch)

i can only JUST use o.d @ 55mph and definitely not locked. and i have a mild 350 that makes excellent off-idle torque.

The reason I recommended that is because I have a 350 (dynoed 421 HP) with 700R4 and 3.55 with stock tires. I thought the 400 would have additional torque to allow numerically lower gears if desired. I am very happy with the 3.55 gears.

that's going to depend a lot on how the 400 is built. if it doesn't make a lot of off-idle torque, it might not be a good idea to go much lower on the gears.

I LOVE my 700r4 / 3.55:1 combo. awesome off the line grunt and cruises down the freeway NICELY.