New engine build.

Monte72Carlo

Alright guys, here is what I'm thinking for a semi budget race engine for my Grey Monte. By race I mean 80% track 20% street (at least 94 octane compatible). Just in the rough stages soo far. Machining is all free! I will be going for every little HP gain as possible with this one.

Block : Used GM 400 (bored until it cleans up) splayed caps ARP fasteners. Maybe stud girdle/crank scrapper, O.00 decked

Crank : Would be nice to find a used steel stroker crank 434ci?

Rods : Stock? Refitted with ARP fasteners or Some fairly inexpensive aftermarket rods?

Pistons : I'm leaning towards some Ross racing pistons, but really it dosen't matter which company as JE, Diamond ect.. are all fairly close in quality. True flat tops if possible or valve reliefs if needed. Pistons will have as much distance possible between the top and first compression ring landing as possible.

Cam : Hydraulic Roller. Opinions? Some where street able and works well with the heads. Maximum somewhere around .550 lift ish.

Timming chain : cloyes adjustable.

Lifters : some non needle bearing lifters for ease of mind.

Pushrods : comp cams magnum (already have them) 0.100 over stock length.

Rockers : Some type of roller. 1.6 ratio maybe a split ratio depending on whats needed.

Heads : GM vortec 062. 64 cc combustion chamber, mildly ported (rough casting) clean up the combustion chambers. Already milled for larger springs 3 angle valve job already done, steam holes need to be drilled, new valves ect. Screw in rockers, enlarged push rod holes to accept 1.6 ratio. They have been decked about 0.060 already. Would like the CR ration to be around 10.5-10.7ish

Headers : Hooker competition headers (maybe get them coated?)

Intake : Edelbrock single plane? I have a dual plane air gap for street ability

Carb : 750 proform/holley

Other additions: Csr electric WP, areomotive 140GPH electric fuel pump, sumped fuel tank. Complete fiberglass front end, 3.73 posi, 3000 stall, th350

Nitrous, 100-150 either single or dual stage plate system.

Just bored and thinking up a possible engine for the grey car once my other engine sells smile

If anyone is looking for a stock rebuilt engine with an eddy intake and some Chevrolet chrome tall valve covers, I have one for sale wink

Just trying to get some ideas/opinions

Thanks,

Garrett.

I see two issues already. With a zero decked block and 64cc chambers (is that what they are now or before they were milled?) and flat tops you will be upwards of 12:1 compression and you wanted 10.5:1 I would not mess with a stroker crank in a stock block. Too much grinding and not worth the hassle imo. How much HP are you shooting for?

I have done a 4 inch stroke in a 400 block, there is a lot of grinding. With a 4 inch stroke you must run a 6 inch rod to clear the crank the pistons are short and the ring package is tight. That being said the motor is a screamer. My nephew has it and it's been running strong for 4 years. It was a real interesting build. We put mahle pistons with a d cup dish to keep the compression in the 10.5 range with aluminum heads. It was a 2 bolt block and we put eagle splayed 4 bolt caps on it.

Have fun coming up with a package to go with.