Quick test for plug wires

stangeba

Just posting a quick test I remember using, to test for bad plug wires. When it's dark out, open the hood, spray the wires and cap with water with a mist sprayer (like a Windex sprayer) have someone start it, put it in gear (automatic trans) and brake torque the engine, look for sparks at the boots on both ends and along the wires. I remember my dad's 66 Olds 425 sparking like a Christmas tree when we did that years ago. It ran poor when it rained till I replaced the wires.

Bruce

That is a great test, my younger Sister's car looked like the 4th of July in the dark, replaced all the wires and car ran great.

I did that a couple years ago on my Monte and found my homemade boot heat shields that I made out of sheet heat shield wrap was causing my plugs to miss. 3 of them were arcing through the wrap to ground...turns out the staples that I used to make them was a bad idea, I couldn't remove them fast enough... lol

img0839td1.jpg