Accumulator Cover?

MonteFox89

I finally found the culprit to the leaking transmission! Accumulator Cover leak! (took me 3 hours looking up what the round thing was!) now my question is... how do I remove it to replace the O-Ring? or can I just coat it in Silicone and hope for the best? :P

it requires a special tool, or some inginuity..

you have to press the cover in, and hold it in, while you pry the round retaining ring out of the inside.

so... a Long screw driver or an extended socket that can reach from the side of the car to the cover. and then have myself or someone else remove the ring out while the other holds the plate down? Simple enough smile Thank you smile

I finally found the culprit to the leaking transmission! Accumulator Cover leak! (took me 3 hours looking up what the round thing was!) now my question is... how do I remove it to replace the O-Ring? or can I just coat it in Silicone and hope for the best? :P

You could do that but you pretty much have to pull the pan to drop the fluid level below the cover. Most shops mine included replace the oring and hit it with a good quality silicone for added insurance.

Andy

it covers the accumulator davey crazy

it's the cover that goes in the end of that cylinder looking thing sticking out the side of the trans.. the accumulator softens the 1-2 shift.

the round thing just behind the dipstick (This is a TH350)

TH350-transmission.jpg

700r4:

19-202.jpg

hate to be the dumb one here (hold your jokes)...but what is a accumulator cover???

It's ok Davey, took me 3 hours just to find out what it was... I hate hunting down blown up diagrams that only show driver sides and nothing that even resembles passenger side pieces lol

Thanks Ondy for the tip. I'm going to be taking the cover off here in a bit and replacing the O-ring along with putting some silicone in as well, as you said, "for added insurance."

Having an issue with the snap ring... it's just not coming out and I can't find a spot to grab onto it... is there some kinda hole or something I can use to my advantage on this?

montefox.. gotta clean all the crud out, and find the end of it.. use a small curved pick is the best way.. once you get the end out.. get a small screwdriver under it and work your way around.. it's not easy.

davey.. I've never been inside a 400. but it looks like the TH400 doesn't have an external to the case accumulator for 2nd gear like the others do.

Davey, your accumulator is on the passenger side rear just in front of the tail shaft. Four bolts instead of a PITA clip. You know it is bad when it takes 5500 rpm to get out of first gear. Driven by the tail shaft just in front of the speedo.

I read somewheres that there is a small hole like ordeal on the side of the housing that actually lets me tap a small item into (very small nail) and it will knock the ring out far enough I can grab it with a screwdriver. I hope it works cause trust me. I got the crud out. getting the snap ring out without it having any spots to pull it is a pain!

Davey, your accumulator is on the passenger side rear just in front of the tail shaft. Four bolts instead of a PITA clip. You know it is bad when it takes 5500 rpm to get out of first gear. Driven by the tail shaft just in front of the speedo.

pssst davey.. that's not the accumulator.. that's the govenor smile