Dashboard and Steering Wheel Restoration

cpmman

What is the best way to get the original dash back to new looking condition?

Would like all the gauges restored or replaced and the surface refinished.

Same for the stering wheel? Is there a place that restores steering wheels?

Rick

Do you get Hemmings? There are several sources listed in the "Services Offered" section that do gauges and steering wheels. I know that the gauges aren't cheap to do anymore.

One other consideration is to do it yourself. The printed circuit isn't difficult to replace and I believe that all of the gauges are repopped. That only leaves the plastic bezel. This can be polished with a dremel tool or buffing wheel and plastic polish available at most auto stores.

As for the steering wheel, Eastwood sells a kit for the plastic wheels. The sport wheel is actually a polyurethane so it's a little more difficult. You're better off finding a replacement. Working with PU isn't easy (it's my living) if you don't have the proper tools and environmental controls.

The Parts Place is selling complete new ready to go gauge clusters, spendy but probably not to bad if you add in all the time, labor and parts.....I have a simulated wood piece coming in but I don't know the actual condition yet...steering wheels and centers are available as aftermarket repo's.....Dave

i dont know first hand ,but..

im told that the repop gauges dont last very long,i recently sold a gauge/tach cluster and several people told me they did not want it do to the aftermarket parts in it.

fyi