solid vs hyd

kc8oye

if a cam is listed as a "hydraulic flat tappet" there is no reason I couldn't actually run solid lifters if i wanted too right?

i'm assuming when they say it's a hyd. flat tappet, it's profiles are somewhat mild and probably won't rev high enough to require the lighter solid lifters?

and then the next question is, if I ran solid lifters on a hyd. cam would i really gain much in terms of rpm, or would the cam profile probably limit me before the rpms where the different lifters would make a difference?

this is more of a hypothetical question so i don't have any specific cams in mind.

Tim I know right now there is a lot of experimenting going on with roller cams. Some guys have created what they call "hybirds" using solid roller lifters on a hyd roller cam. They are supposed to rev better and create a more aggressive profile. Don't know that I've heard of anyone doing that with a flat tappet but I'm sure it has been done. I would just call someone like Lunati and see what they know....

There isn't a lot to gain on the Flat tappet hydraulic to solid change without changing the actual cam like Winston said. People do it on the roller stuff because hydraulic roller lifters are so heavy and the solid rollers are so much lighter. You gain rpm capability by the swap and the cam gets a hair more aggressive without the hydraulic lifters.

I wouldn't try the swap you are trying personally.