454 heads

DRDIRT11

was wondering if these are the heads i would want. they are oval port open chamber #336781 113cc heads. i have the old type with 13/16" spark plugs but on a 77 engine. dont know which is better?

Hey Joe, those are some really good castings actually. They have small valves which stinks, but their ports are about the best oval port GM has made. If you clean 'em up and put some bigger valves in there, they should be great. Make sure they are not cracked or anything before you put any time/money into them though.

Mr Holman, paiging Mr. Holman. 781's are like 049s,820s, and just about any large oval. Find a good machinist, buy some 2.19 intake 1.88 exhaust valves and go to town. I got a set of Elgin stainless off eBay last year for $100 and another $285 for the machinist to put them in and a few minutes of port work and it made my 402 feel like a fo fiddy fo.

I just bought a set of the same heads in Auxvasse, got them for $100 and just gunna have the seller drop them off at my head guy's repair shop. Good to know about putting bigger valves in, I will be sure to get that done laugh