Fundamental Design Flaw on My 71

Andy's Auto

Ever wonder why my 71 never really ran better than 12.0 even with a built 496, Merlins, gears and a really good convertor? Turns out I failed to do my homework. My pistons were at .030 deck and were dished 19cc. With a 118cc head and an .054 compressed head gasket, it gave me a static compression ratio of 8.2:1.

God I wished I sprayed the snot out of this thing before I balloned the old convertor killing the thrust main.

Monte Carlo 2.2 coming as soon as I get the Muncie in the 68. In progress.

Homework? It sounds as if you forgot to turn on the shop lights!

That's the stuff you should be able to see with your eyeballs.

You can correct some of that error with steel shim head gaskets. (.020 compressed instead of the .054). That's almost as good as moving your piston to zero deck.

I question the dished piston. A dished piston isn't all that common. Are you sure you are reading the numbers right? A piston with a raised dome of about .2 tall will be listed to have a "piston head volume" of -18.3 cc. The number is given as a negative because that's how it fits in the compression math formula. That number is subtracted from the chamber volume...I guess they think it's handy to have the minus sign in there already, but it can be a little confusing.

• 3 weeks later...