fuel injection

monte70car

Been window shopping for fuel injection system for the Monte. The players in my watch box right now is the Fast ez-efl system and the retortek system. I was original looking at Holley's system but after getting a email back from one of their tech guys saying I would not notice a gain of mpg over a tuned carb dropped them from the running. The people at Fast stated could see a 2-3mpg gain. The Retortek people hasn't got back to me yet, but right now I'm just price shopping as the funds aren't in place yet for either system.

I'm leaning towards the Fast system as the computer is self tuning. The down side of the Fast system is it's only good for up to 550hp with the fuel pump that comes in the master kit. The draw back to the Fast system is the way the lines run into the the throttle body, to me it doesn't look like a clean install.

The Retortek system has a real nice option of doing it as a returnless system. The down side to this system is the need for a laptop for the tuning of the system as it's not a learning system. Between this system and the Fast system, this one looks more like a Holley carb with fuel bowls on the front and back of the carb.

I have looked at the muilti port systems like Edeldbrock, Accel's DFI Gen 7+ Super-Ram or their DFI Gen 7+ Pro-Ram. Then I have to send the intake out to get shaved like the current intake. The Accel's super-ram system looks just like the 90's TPI's for the Camaro's and the Vette's but then there is the hood clearance issue.

Don't get me wrong a carb is good but with the price of gas going up its time to save some of that money. My current setup does pretty good pulling 13.5mpg and the plugs have a nice tan color to them.I believe there is at least another 2-3mpg left in my motor and trans combo 404 big block with 390hp and a 700r4 trans which was built around the stock 2.73 rear gears and a 26" tall tire.

The Retrotek Powerjection III is a self-tuning system...

The 'fuel bowls' have no fuel, they are just hiding the injectors & sensors...

I have one in the box sitting in the basement waiting for the spring to be installed...

To my knowledge, Powerjection III is the only TBI system set up to run on top of my small roots blower 'out of the box' (Holley Avenger EFI could too, but needs a new MAP sensor and other adjustments), that was my 'buying' criteria...

Also, I liked the fact that the ECM is on the Throttle Body and not all the jungle-wiring is required...

If you consider that system, do NOT get their fuel pump, it is junk!

Andreas did you get the fuel on demand kit with your Retrotek system? I'll double check my information on the system again I know Holley's kinda got toss to the side after the reply I got from the tech guy. The less wires to run sounds good to me as well compared to what we did to the Nomad. My down side is the only time I have to really read up on the systems are on my weekend as I just don't feel like reading off getting off of work. The Retrotek does come in about $300 cheaper then the Fast system with their fuel pump and fuel lines. I do like the idea of the return less option that the Retrotek can do. Andreas about how small is the ecm on the Retrotek and where is it at on the TBI.

Andreas did you get the fuel on demand kit with your Retrotek system? I'll double check my information on the system again I know Holley's kinda got toss to the side after the reply I got from the tech guy. The less wires to run sounds good to me as well compared to what we did to the Nomad. My down side is the only time I have to really read up on the systems are on my weekend as I just don't feel like reading off getting off of work. The Retrotek does come in about $300 cheaper then the Fast system with their fuel pump and fuel lines. I do like the idea of the return less option that the Retrotek can do. Andreas about how small is the ecm on the Retrotek and where is it at on the TBI.

No I will run a return line (600 HP here). DO NOT get their fuel pump system, get the system w/o fuel pump (part no 70020 or 70021) and buy your own pump & regulator. The fuel pump in the kit only lasts a few weeks in many cases!

The ECM is right next to the Throttle Body under the side cover.

The WHOLE installation & instruction manual is only 20 pages, you can download it here:

http://www.retrotekspeed.com/product_images/product-installation_pdf-52.pdf

Only 4 wires for the whole system: Power, Switched Power, Fuel Pump and Tach. All other wires for the sensors are pre-terminated...

Mark that would also need to have the intake shaved, which is one thing I don't want to go though again. The current intake was done main years ago at least it did not cost me a dime to get it done as the parts house that we got the motor from paid to have it done.