Fuel Pump on Dart SHP Block

Neptunes1970

Hey guys, this is my first real post. I've done a lot of reading on this site but not much posting. I wanted to know if anyone in running a Dart SHP block with a mechanical fuel pump over 80GPH. I have a Dart SHP 406 with Pro 1 215 heads, a big cam & Quick Fuel 850 carb. I can’t find a large volume mechanical fuel pump to clear the K member. The Holley 12-327-11 did not fit. I was at S/K Speed yesterday and compared that Holley to the Edelbrock and Carter. They appeared to be exactly the same. A friend showed me a pump in JEGS, a “Race Pump 1500” it’s a whole new design and $309. The reviews are not that good and I’m not even sure if it will fit. The other option would be to go electric?

Hi Mike!! Welcome to the site.

The race pump will fit and I tried it back about 5 years ago. I had issues and as much as Howard Stewart tried to help I gave up and went to an electric pump. You can modify the front cross member to fit a conventional hp pump but it does require some cutting. One of our members Justin (Winston Wolf) has pictures, not sure what thread, that shows the modification.

That is one of the things about s/b in first gen Montes that will give you issues. The next is finding a set of larger primary headers that will fit the s/b. Schoenfeld is the only company(short of custom made) I know of that make headers that will fit as long as you don't have a/c.

Good luck and again welcome!

David

Fuel Pump

This has some info and a links to more pics.

I'm sure electric would be fine, I just like the stockish look and don't care for the noise. For a long time I ran a stock pump and used an electric to "supercharge" it. I really only turned the electric on when I was racing. If you look at the design of the stock pump, you will see it works perfect for that type of setup. Its flow is limited by suction, so electric will blow fuel right through it. Worked very well.

Fuel Pump

This has some info and a links to more pics.

I'm sure electric would be fine, I just like the stockish look and don't care for the noise. For a long time I ran a stock pump and used an electric to "supercharge" it. I really only turned the electric on when I was racing. If you look at the design of the stock pump, you will see it works perfect for that type of setup. Its flow is limited by suction, so electric will blow fuel right through it. Worked very well.

Thanks Justin!!

David

Thanks for the info and links! I don’t think I want to cut into the frame (great picture by the way) but that is an option! And using an electric pump to feed the mechanical pump is in interesting idea! All the reviews I read said the same as you David the race pump had problems and they gave up. Did you use there gasket and fuel regulator? They are calming that’s a must do. As far as the headers…I went with the Schoenfeld as well.

Thanks Mike

Yep Mike I used their regulator and isolation gasket. When it worked properly it was great but it just didn't work out for me. I sold regulator but still have the pump setting in my toolbox.

Cool deal on the Schoenfelds. I had ball flange collectors welded up to them. Just need to send them off to the coaters.

Take care,

David

Guys, Mike is just a few blocks away and our builds are almost identicle except for the ci. He's got a real potent smallblock that dynoed @ 530hp. David, he could have really benefited from your header part #'s but he ordered the 166's months ago and already went through busting his knuckles. His drivers side went right in but had to relocate pipes on the pass side. Hes dealing w/this fuel pump issue and I will be as well when I put my motor in. The Holley 110 fit my old motor but it doesnt doesnt fit mikes shp block. I just came back from my builder and he did some measurements to my shp block and compared it to another factory block....No way is the shp OEM specs, maybe the motor mounts and trans, but not the fuel pump unless your car possibly took a good hit Mike and threw things off a bit??? Hopefully not. I think the shp block is taller too. We both need a better fuel system anyway...Here goes another $1500. Labor of love I tell ya. When I get my motor in i'll see if my 110 fits and if not i'll throw in the small 80 and use that cause we know that it fits untill I have the coin to go all out. Wish us luck guys!