Lower Radiator Hose with Aftermarket Radiator

quarterbooty

For you guys with aftermarket radiators, what are you using for a lower radiator hose? I'm replacing a universal Jeg's radiator with a Becool 60008 that's supposed to be direct fit. It does fit really well, but the outlet nozzle is still 1-3/4" (stock is 1-1/2" for both SB and BB I believe). My old Jeg's radiator also has the 1-3/4" nozzle, and it was also angled up for some reason. This necessitated the use of one of the universal fit hoses (the ones that look corrugated). It worked, but I hate how it looked. I was looking forward to using a factory style hose with my new radiator, but I'm stuck unless anyone has a solution. Thanks in advance.

Nick

I solved my problem. All Montes used a Gates 20677 for the lower hose. It's a 1-3/4" x 1-1/2" with a 25-3/32" centerline length. Gates tabulates this information for all of their molded hoses in catalog 431-2040. I spent a decent amount of time going through this catalog at O'Reilly looking for hoses with 1-3/4" or 2" ends on both ends, and a centerline length close to that of the 20677. Needless to say, there are numerous matches to these criteria. The catalogs also have pictures of the hose. The pictures helped me narrow down decent matches to 5 or 6 candidates that might have a chance at working, so I ordered them up. The best match I found is a Gates 22892 (lower radiator hose for 2003-2010 Dodge Ram trucks). It's a 1-3/4" x 2" with a 24-1/2" centerline length. Its contour is the closest I found to the 20677. Since the water pump nozzle is 1-3/4", I also picked up a Gates 26392 2" to 1-3/4" hose adapter that fits inside the 2" end.

IMG_0828.JPG

It fits perfectly, and I didn't have to cut it at all. Hope this helps someone else out.

Nick

• Like 1

Does your radiator have a lower outlet that points 90 degrees to the tank, or does it point ~25 degrees upward? Mine is a Griffen and points up which is retarded. That hose would look much better than my universal flex hose though.