Can E15 Gasoline Really Damage Your Engine?

cudax

How effective are the additives I saw that stabil has one out for that? I was going to try it this year. Lets see now, an additive for the oil (zinc)an additive for the gas (lead substute) and now another for the gas. Its getting even more expensive to fill up and change the oil.

http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/default.aspx

NEW! STA-BIL® Ethanol Treatment

•Perfect for use in cars, trucks and small engines!

•Prevents corrosion caused by today’s Ethanol blended fuels

•Helps remove water from Fuel

•Cleans fuel injectors, carburetors and intake valves for better, overall performance

•Recommended for use at every fill up

Part #: 22264

10 oz. - Treats up to 25 gallons

UPC: #0 73905 22264 8

Pack: 12/10 fl. oz (12/296mL)

10 oz. - Treats up to 25 gallons

Today's Ethanol Blended fuels can be hard on your fuel system and engine. Ethanol attracts moisture, which can lead to corrosion within the fuel system, octane loss, gum and varnish formation and rough running of your equipment. New STA-BIL Ethanol Treatment was designed to fight these damaging effects of Ethanol, and protect your fuel system and engine for better overall performance. STA-BIL Ethanol Treatment helps remove water, protects against corrosion, and cleans fuel injectors, carburetors, and intake valves to keep the fuel system free of gum and varnish and deposits. Perfect for use in your everyday driving vehicle, such as your car, truck, SUV or mini-van, and also great for your small gasoline powered equipment -- lawnmowers, chainsaws, weed wackers, snow blowers, snowmobiles, etc. Recommended to be used at every fill up to keep your vehicle and equipment running smoothly year-round.

I use a product called Star Tron from the folks at Star brite. It does the same thing as the Stabil brand. It costs $10.00 for an 8oz bottle at Wally World. Initial treatment is 1oz for every 8 gallons and after that it's 1oz for every 16 gallons of fuel. The only I can tell it works in the Monte is that the car starts easy and runs right even after setting for a couple months. In my bike I can tell a difference in power and I get a little better fuel economy. In my truck I just notice a 2-3 mpg improvement and less less spark knock which means the ecu isn't pulling back the power as much. I will look at the Stabil stuff and give it a try.

I've never had problems running this stuff and E15 has been pretty common around here for years. If your car sits for long periods of time then you should be concerned as the ethanol will collect moisture at a much faster rate than gas but there are a couple of things you can do.

Fill up at a busy station. Gas is fresh and hasn't been in the tanks a long time.

Don't let the fuel sit in the car more than a month without some kind of stabilizer. I haven't had the monte long enough to know how much fuel I'll use from week to week but I typically only fill the Cutlass to half a tank as that's how much it typically uses in two weeks of cruise nights etc. This way the fuel is fresh every two weeks.

When I put my cars away I use Sta-bil and Sea-foam in the tank and make sure to let the car run for a while after you add it so it makes it through the entire system.

Run a can of your favorite fuel additive every few tanks. My favorite is Sea-Foam. I've ran a can in every tank of the Monte so far (3 tanks) and it keeps getting better. I'm ONLY doing this because my car sat for years with very little use. According to service receipts it had less the 300 miles in the last 11 yrs. I've put 600 on it this month smile

Sea-Foam and Sta-Bil are not required. A cheap bottle of Heet will take the water out just as well but won't really clean anything.

I use a product called Star Tron from the folks at Star brite. It does the same thing as the Stabil brand. It costs $10.00 for an 8oz bottle at Wally World. Initial treatment is 1oz for every 8 gallons and after that it's 1oz for every 16 gallons of fuel. The only I can tell it works in the Monte is that the car starts easy and runs right even after setting for a couple months. In my bike I can tell a difference in power and I get a little better fuel economy. In my truck I just notice a 2-3 mpg improvement and less less spark knock which means the ecu isn't pulling back the power as much. I will look at the Stabil stuff and give it a try.

I also use the Star Tron and am extremely pleased with it. If you buy the StarTron in the automotive section it is much more expensive. You need to find it in the Marine section for about $9.00 to treat about 120 gallons of gas.