Universal HEI with early BBC issues?

MCfan

I stopped by the Speed Shop at Muscle Car City last week and was asking about the new "universal" HEI distributors they had on display. The very seasoned attendant asked me which engine and year it was for. When I told him it was a '70 BBC, he quitely asked, "Why do you want to put an HEI distributor on that engine? Why not just put a Pertronix kit in your stock distributor?" I told him I already had an Accel pointless kit in it but wanted to upgrade to HEI and MSD. He said unless I was racing or expecting to burn low grade gas, I probably would be wasting my money on either/both. Hmmmm

Then he told me that he had heard many complaints that the "universal" HEI units were restricting oil flow (and causing consequential damage) in early big blocks down near the drive gear end of the dsitributor shaft. I had not heard of this issue before and wondered if anyone has experienced or heard of a problem like that. Aren't there earlier GM HEI units that work well with the early BBC? (I would think so.)

Also, what experience have others had with Pertronix kits in their stock GM distributors? Which of their several models does anyone recommend for a street/performance modified BBC? Thanks for any feedback.

Big concern I know of, is when you have a steel camshaft vs a stock Chevy cast iron camshaft. The gear on the distributor needs to be the correct one to match the camshaft or it tears up the weaker gear. Using thick oil also places more stress on this gear set. Here I'm not 100% sure but I believe it's steel on steel and cast on cast. As far as Pertronix goes, they are a points replacement not HEI. I still run points but have a modified "Dave's HEI" distributor that uses a stock dist with GM HEI module in my basement that I have never used yet. With HEI you can run a larger gap type spark plug and they are better for igniting a leaner or richer mixture. More Power!!!!!!!!

Bruce

Dave's Small Body HEI

Thanks for the feedback, Bruce. I enjoyed checking out Dave's small HEI website - never heard of his conversions before.

Since you already have one of Dave's conversions but have never used it, do you have concerns or issues with it? Would installing it require more than a physical distributor swap (i.e. additional electronics or wiring to make it work)?

I got it free from where I work. (We sell a similar GM HEI Distributer for old in line six's) I have never tried it yet because it requires a different coil that is slightly larger so it wouldn't fit in my current "on intake" coil holder. I would need to run a 12 volt wire to it and my car is very stock right now. I just got three pair of Delco Remy points from a friend and it runs so nice now like it has for 150,000 + miles.

Bruce

Dennis, We put Pertronix #PNX-1181LS in three of our vehicles, stock rotor, cap and wires. They work perfect, no problems. 54 Bel Air, 71 Monte and 72 GMC. Cameron

Thanks for the feedback, Cameron. I am just beginning to focus on my Monte's ignition system and it seems like there is a lot to learn and a lot to choose from. Right now it is stock except for the Accel points elimination module and aftermarket plug wires that came on the car. It seems to work fine now but I thought there might also be an opportunity for improvement. I'll take a close look at the Pertronix offerings.

BTW, I remember being blown away when the '58 Impala came out in the fall of '57. A lucky guy on our street got his hands on a black convertible with red interior, fender skirts and the continental tire kit - way cool!!!