Oil recommendation for 70 Monte.

wtd

I realize that most of the engines we're talking about on this thread are somewhat high performance, but what about, say, a totally stock 1984 307 Olds engine? It's still flat tappet, right? So would using manufacturer spec oil/weight with a bottle of Lucas ZDDP or ZDDPlus keep me from cam failure?

This is just on a sedan, not any kind of high performance thing.

Just did an oil change with Amsoil 10/40 (engineered for older vehicles with added zinc). Even though I have roller cam now, the zinc has to do some good elsewhere in the motor, why not use it?

From our friends at Valvoline..

Quote:
Valvoline offers two solutions to the zinc issue

Valvoline Racing VR1: 75% higher zinc than SM engine oil with a balanced additive package designed to work in both racing and street-legal applications. This product will protect older style push-rod and flat tappet engines. Valvoline provides this product in both multi and mono viscosity grades: SAE 20W-50 (part vv211), straight SAE 50 (part vv235), SAE 10W-30 (part vv205), SAE 30(part vv223), SAE 40 (part vv229), and SAE 60 (part vv241)

Longer-Lasting Zinc/Phosphorus: Valvoline uses an advanced zinc/phosphorus additive that keeps higher levels of phosphorus in the engine oil where it protects the engine, instead of poisoning the catalytic converter. Valvoline is the only brand offering this unique additive across its entire line of passenger car engine oils, including SynPower which is the only synthetic offering this additive. www.valvoline.com

I started out with castrol 20-50, now I'm running Brad Penn 20-50 since last year at the Watkins Glen Vintage race.it has all the "good" stuff in it.It's the "Green" oil,yeah it is green in color.anything up there with a flat tappet design had a sticker on it.It's had the stuff in it since and I don't plan on switching.running a sbc with a little more than .510 lift with 292 duration.Always been a castrol fan but since they stopped with the zinc content I had to find something else to fill the void.