Funny story

evman140

The new switch is in. No luck. This Monte is officially possessed.

I'm pretty sure I have the solenoid wired correctly, but since its the next thing on the list to fiddle with - would it be safe to reverse the leads on the unit? The heavy gauge wire is the one closest to the motor so I'm thinking it is correct.

Ok, ill wait. I have to call it quits soon, need to get ready for work. My dad will be home soon after I leave so ill leave him with this thread as guidance.

I even tried getting hold of my ace-in-the-hole rescue mechanic but can't seem to find him...

Until later... Monte in distress!!

You ask about a sticking relay...that's what your solenoid does: it acts as a relay to send current to the starter...and it also pulls that plunger so the starter engages with the flywheel at the same time. When you turn your key, the ign switch sends current to the solenoid through a small wire (solenoid post closest to the engine block) and the solenoid closes the relay that sends battery current directly to the starter.

As I see it, there are only two possibilities: either the solenoid is working correctly and is getting an outside voltage when it shouldn't (it thinks you have the key in the start position)...or the solenoid is faulty and not disconnecting from the battery when it should.

One thing I noticed missing in your picture is a spring! There should be a large return spring that goes over the plunger before the solenoid is bolted on. The spring moves the starter away from the flywheel when you don't have the key in the start position.

You really need to investigate and find out if one of those tiny wires on your solenoid is getting voltage when the key isn't in the start position. Everything should be dead except the battery cable end. Also check to be sure the big battery terminal post on the solenoid isn't coming in contact with the post directly beneath it because of a large washer or oversize cable end or something.

Final questions: when this happens, does the starter actually turn over the engine, or is the starter just running alone?

...and what happens if the engine starts? does the starter stay engaged while the engine runs?

I am happy to report that the problem has been solved!

The culprit was an extra live wire attached to the solenoid. Which makes this a very curious case now because the car used to function this way approx 10 days ago! Now it seems the laws of physics do not apply to this Monte....

Anywho, the car is in transit to the interior man, only a couple days behind schedule. smile

A big thanks to all of you guys!

wire could have gotten weak over time if he had the battery connected while it sat, keeping a current running through it. a very small gauge of wire will wear down faster normally. So said wire could have just run down and died lol. It was that same wire actually that sucked my battery dry! maybe I was right then smile Glad to help! lol