Funny story

evman140

So there I am in the driveway detailing my Accord and talking to my dad when the craziest spooky and now funny thing happened.

Sitting in the garage all covered up nice and tight is my Monte, and all of the sudden it tries to start itself! For nearly ten seconds the starter was cycling! My father and I ran towards it - me with a 1/2" wrench to disconnect the battery and my dad to stand on the brake! Crazy weird...

And yes I even checked inside for some prankster.

So, I'm guessing this is the matter of a faulty solenoid?

Definitely had a good laugh with this one!

Thanks everyone smile

Possibly an animal of sort on your solenoid or maybe the insulation falling off the wires and they finally touched the right terminals to turn the car over???

Let us know if you find out what it is.

Hahaha... you guys.

I replaced the battery cables about 2 years ago, so I don't think that could be a problem. I really think it is the solenoid. I didn't get to it today but will be tomorrow.

One thing for sure - I'm putting in a quick disconnect. Not taking any more chances with this machine.

Oh and on a side note, we have had a huge problem with chipmunks around the house so animals being responsible is quite plausible!

Yep, I think Bill is onto something here..... My guess would be your Purple wire down on the solinoid has come loose and as Bill said it has leaned over far enough it is touching the Positive battery cable in the middle and the starter is engaugeing...

Sorry cant help you with the Chipmunks....

Darren.

So far, two chipmunks have been captured and relocated! The third has escaped the trap twice now... I guess I'll have to keep adding peanuts.

Made some progress today, removed the battery, the flywheel cover and eventually the starter.

I am 99% convinced the problem has to do with wiring. There were only 3 wires connected to the solenoid and one frayed wire that didn't seem to have a place. Connected wires include; yellow/orange w/ spade; larger black w/spade and the fat positive battery cable.

I am going to solder on two new spades, the spade on he yellow lead broke off when I loosened the nut and the spade on the black lead is about to break off.

Don't see a purple lead, maybe its just black with grease now...

BTW The battery cale spade seems to have a little too much exposed metal, going to buy some shrink tubing to cover it up.

IMAG0378.jpg

Ok. Progress update: Today I added new spade terminals to all leads that apply. Degreased starter. Added some new hardware. Lubricated then reassembled. Starter installation scheduled for tomorrow @ 10a.

Do you guys have any idea where a stray orange and black wire might need to go? They are all in the same bundle that goes to the starter.

Okay, so I buttoned everything up and wouldn't you know it, the second I connect the battery it tried to take off immediately...

This is turning into an emergency because I am driving the car out for the interior change out TODAY.

Help! Please! Help me!

Thank you

So you have two little wires that go on posts on the solenoid, right? One will have 12 volts on it when the ignition is turned to the start position. That lead is what engages the starter and is on the terminal closest to the block. Disconnect the leads from the solenoid and measure for voltage on them with the ignition off, and with it on, and with it in the start position. If there is 12 v just sitting there on that lead, then that's why the starter engages immediately. That would be a problem to investigate. It should only be there when the ignition is in the start position.

The other lead supplies 12v to the coil when the starter is engaged, bypassing the resistance wire that lowers voltage to the coil during the run condition so you don't burn out your points as fast.

At least I believe that's how it works.

I made a whole page of notes and even made a labeled drawing of the solenoid terminals.

I am on the way home from napa with a new ignition sw and solenoid.

Thank you for the replies everyone.

I will make measurements also.