Transmission Linkage

hoflande

Hey guys I was trying to hook up my turbo three fifty and just could not get it. It is a column shift. Could it be a problem that the steering column is from a 72 and the car is a seventy? pictures are helpful and i would also like to know which positions on the tranny are Park, Drive, Neutral etc.

What was in the car prior to the THM350, a PowerGlide?

Is the pivot missing? (goes between the trans and the frame) Linkage all there? We need more information.

Do you have any kind of shop manual for the car? There are lots of drawings.

I have a 71 350 with a THM350 all stock.

Bruce

Nothing has changed in the car except the steering column which is from a 72. Is the pivot you are talking about the piece that bolts to the frame? I have that but it is not lining up with the linkage. I do also have a shop manual that I have referenced but something still isn't right

Nothing has changed in the car except the steering column which is from a 72. Is the pivot you are talking about the piece that bolts to the frame? I have that but it is not lining up with the linkage. I do also have a shop manual that I have referenced but something still isn't right

Yes, the frame piece.

So the only change is your 70 Monte Carlo now has a 72 steering column.... It's from a 72 WHAT? My 71 has a 72 tilt with no problems. I assume the gear shift lever is all the way up into park, not just the shift indicator? Forget the shift rod to trans. Can you get the shift lever into Park and get the shift indicator all lined up OK? The ignition lock works OK unlocking the shift lever? See attached picture from the shop man. Does yours look the same? Could it be off by 180 degrees some place?

71 column shift linkage drawing

The 72 column was from a nearly identical car 350 with a turbo 350 trans. Your picture was helpful I don't have the spring or two washers that your picture shows. I will give her another shot I'm sure i will get it. Thanks for the help.