Quick Fuel 950

Mom's Car

I am thinking of swapping out my Holley 850 to a quick fuel 950 on my 1971 Monte. I checked a couple of those online carb size calculators and the results vary between an 850 and 950cfm plus

Any feedback guys?

motor specs

498 cu in

10 to 1 comp

brodix BB2 plus CNC heads

edel rpm air gap

cam specs are .640 int lift .620 exh lift

230 int dur 239 exh dur 114 lobe separation

dynoed at 624 hp and 634 torque

5 speed tko 500

3.73 gears

I'm interested to see some responses here as I'm researching carbs too, for the 502.

Davey had good things to say about Pro Systems so I did their online quote and Patrick got right back to me with his recommendation - 1000 HP carb. The bad part is I can't afford an $800 carb right now.

You have better heads and a bigger cam, so I'd imagine you could use some more flow. I've only read good things about the Pro Systems and since they are custom built for your application, they are usually spot on.

Is that 850 you currently have just an old school Holley 850 double pumper?

I'm interested to see some responses here as I'm researching carbs too, for the 502.

Davey had good things to say about Pro Systems so I did their online quote and Patrick got right back to me with his recommendation - 1000 HP carb. The bad part is I can't afford an $800 carb right now.

You have better heads and a bigger cam, so I'd imagine you could use some more flow. I've only read good things about the Pro Systems and since they are custom built for your application, they are usually spot on.

Is that 850 you currently have just an old school Holley 850 double pumper?

Yup.......Old School 850 double pumper

My power numbers are similar for a 489 with a different setup. Personally with what you have I'd stick with an 850, but unless that carb is dialed in for your application you are leaving power and efficiency on the table. I used to run an AED 850 carb tuned just for my car back when I had a hydraulic roller cam and the same intake you have now. Currently I run an AED Pro-Street Dominator, Eddy Victor 454R intake, and a 700 lift solid roller cam. A lot of folks don't believe a setup like that can cruise the streets, but I do it all the time and have no issues at all. AED makes an awesome carb and the Pro-Street Dominator has had all the issues resolved with running a 1050 carb on the street. With my 16" K&N air cleaner no one can even see that beast of a carb setting on top of my engine. Folks who don't have clue still think it's a basic 454 crate motor. Everything is always in the right setup. There is no generic one fits all application and close just doesn't cut it.