air intake

tom71

My 71 350 monte takes awhile to warm up. She runs a little rough until she warms and then is OK. I have a question regarding the air cleaner hardware. There is a round AC plastic cover over a metal disk in with the air cleaner. It has two vacuum hoses going to it. What is it? I put a vacuum gauge on it and it does not hold vacuum. Should it? I put the vacuum guage on the nozzel of the air cleaner hardware and it opens the valve within the nozzel. How do I check the round AC (AC is stamped on the top of this plastic piece) and what is it for? I'd take a picture but I still need to master the posting of pictures. (old guy) Thanks.

Tom

I found the part at thepartsplace.com It is part CB10780Z and is called the thermal air intake vacuum sensor (Cold start sensor that mounts in air cleaner base). I wish I knew how to tell if it is bad or not. $28 cost.

This device senses the air temperature inside the air cleaner. When below ?? (I don't know the temperature spec) it allows vacuum to the flapper door in the air horn of the air cleaner closing off incoming cold "un-heated" air allowing heated air from the stove pipe to enter the air cleaner. When the temperature is warmer than spec, the vacuum is shut off (or limited) then pulling in cold air so the air temperature doesn't get too hot. My vacuum door diaphragms (I actually have two, a home made dual snorkel air cleaner) both leak vacuum, so they are un-hooked and non functional.

Bruce

EDIT**

From the shop man page 6M-20 "Thermostatically controlled air cleaner" Keeping the air entering the carburetor at 100F or more.

Tom, the warm air door will come into play on the cold Jersey January mornings but is sounds like you need to delve into the black art of choke adjustment. As far as I know I am the last known tech with a 60's choke angle gauge. That makes it a science. Without one you are stuck giving the choke rod a ben here and there until you enjoy the desired result.

Now that is with the assumption that if you retain the TherMac door on your air cleaner, you still retain your divorced choke.

A 60's choke angle guage in West Palm Beach. I love it!

Thanks all, I'll work with the choke and get my all original Monte running better. I hope to get it to work, moving to WPB is a little extreme just to raise the temp in the air cleaner!

Tom