transmission leak

AndyBill402

Yes, it reads 402 after my name, but this Monte has a TH350. It was my mistake for not mentioning it. I purchased a steel housing unit off ebay, but since I've never replaced one I would greatly appreciate some pointers on how to go about replacing it. I'm losing about a pint of fluid every two days. I know it's coming from the speedometer input because I jacked up the car and wiped clean everything in the vicinity of the leak. Within two minutes I could see the transmission fluid seeping out the speedomenter input. So, does anyone have instructions that will help me replace the speedometer housing?

The main thing is not to let the speedo gear fall into the transmission. I had to take mine to a tranny shop to get it fished out. It only has a single nut or bolt holding the clamp that keeps housing in place after removing the the speedometer cable.

Andy , as Big Jim says there is one bolt . If I remember correctly its a 1/4" bolt (7/16 wrench ) . This bolt holds a flat plate which locks the " bullet " in place . Remove the cable . Remove the bolt and plate . Now the old "bullet"assy should come out with a slight twist and pulling . The driven gear should come out with the bullet . IF you watch the outer end where the cable square fits you should be able to see if the "driven gear is not coming out with the bullet .

Thinking I may be wrong about the 1/4" bolt , it could be 5/16" .

Be prepared for some oil to spill out .

I was thinking this might be a good time to drain the fluid, drop the transmission pan and replace the screen. That should take care of any major leak from the speedo input. Thanks for the information. Since I've never done this before, the whole thing is a learning curve. I'll go very slow and hope I don't mess up.