Power? What power?

ThirdMC

My car doesn't seem to have the power I would expect from it, especially at lower rpms. It won't powerbrake or even spin the tires. The former owner did all the mods to it, or rather, 'his guy that is a mechanic' did.

To give a rundown on what I have:

71 with 350/350 and 2.73 gears (No posi)

L65 350 motor with all stock bottom end. (Crank, rods & pistons)

Edelbrock:

1406 600 cfm carb.

7101 Performer RPM Manifold

60899 64 cc Performer Heads

1721 RPM Fuel Pump

Victor Water Pump

2201 RPM Hyd. Roller Cam with Crane Roller Lifters

Jegs 1.5 Aluminum Roller Rockers

Hedman 1 5/8 tube headers

Full MSD Ignition (6 AL Box, distributor & Blaster 2 coil) 6000 RPM Module in it.

Billet Specialties V-Trac system.

Aftermarket Aluminum Radiator with Electric Fan

Full 2" exhaust with flowmasters

Stock wheels with 245/60/15 BFG's

Transmisssion supposedly has a shift improver kit and Jegs 60400 12" torque convertor (2300-2700 Stall)

Now, I'm certainly no expert but, it seems a motor with all this should be a little stronger. Any suggestions on what may be wrong or what I may need to do to perk it up a bit.

Dave the first thing would be the gears. When you start adding cam the power moves up in the rpm range and kills the lowend so you need more gear to compensate. That combo should be fairly responsive, Edelbrock kits are pretty conservative. I don't know how you use the car but if it's just around town a 3:42 or even a 3:73 would really wake it up. If you still like to cruise it on the freeways then something like a 3:36 would still help.

Do you know what kind of timing you have? Sounds like it also may not have enough advance/total.....

Im thinking the same thing as the crazy one with the timing. I have a friend with a 71 Monte and a jasper motor stock 350 trans and a 2.73 gear set and we can power hop the rear end like crazy. I would say the timing needs to be bump up a few degrees and you will see a difference in the power.

Yea, that does seem like a lot of cam for the motor. My motor is very similiar minus the cam and roller set up. I used a Crane energizer series and bored the block .060 and ditched the dish tops for a set of flat tops (I have no idea what brand, bought them at the machine shop that did the block bore). Mine seems to take its time getting to about 40mph then takes off like it was shot out of a cannon. Oh, I also went with the Carter 625 cfm. (My goal was no Edelbrock parts when I built it)

I'll bet new gears will turn it into a fun car to drive.

OK, Rearend Guru's...with the 8.2 rearend what do I need to do and what parts will I need to change from the 2.73's to something in the 3.36 - 3.42 range?

If you have links, part #'s etc., that would be a great help.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say also have a hard look at your carb... I have a similar setup as you and lost a ton of power when I switched to an Edelbrock 1406

I went from a Q-Jet to an Edelbrock... and I no longer have the "off the line" power. Before I switched, my Q-Jet had me lighting up the tires everywhere... the edelbrock is just starved. The Q-Jet has those nice Massive Secondaries that dump TONS of fuel / air.

IMHO - the Edelbrock 600 Performer Series are just too conservative. Great on the highway... not for the stoplights.

You can, however put some money into the Edelbrock and get it there -- it just needs new needles, a bigger pump-shot, and lots of tuning...

Honestly - better off buying a re-furbed Q-Jet --- I'll be putting mine back on once it is rebuilt.

My first Monte had you same issue - long duration cam on a 350 with no low end torque.

Timing is mentioned - did you get the initial and total timing specs? Make sure your total is 36-38 degrees and all in by 2500 rpms. I like to run vacuum advance too - makes the part throttle more responsive.

Edelbrock is there because it was on the car when I bought it. Given a choice, I'd probably have gone with a Holley.

As for timing, don't have vacuum advance, my model of MSD doesn't have that as an option. Initial timing was set at 10 BTDC and the springs and bushing in the MSD wouldn't let it advance more than about 32 total.

I advanced it to about 16 and it was a little better on the bottom end but was stumbling between 65-70 mph. Backed it off to 14 for now and I'm going to try and change the springs and bushings in the dist. this weekend. It seems the advance is coming in too slow.

Should get the tach installed today so I can double check it all.