water pump advice needed

ScottNM

My 502 came with a short style aluminum one, I removed it and installed my factory original long style (steel) one that came on my 402. The reason being it had the accessory bolt holes that I needed. Granted some day I will purchase an aluminum high flow one mainly for weight savings but the point I'm really trying to say is a stock one from 1972 more than keeps up with my 500+ hp motor.

Scott, I agree with Bill. One of the first things I had to do to my SS Monte after I bought it was replace the water pump. I don't have to tell you that there a lot of choices out there, some expensive, some not so much.

I was told my engine is supposed to be rated at 500+ horse (but I haven't dynoed it yet to support that claim). Caught a Hemi Charger and a GTO at the light since I've owned it and had no problem with either of them so I'm guessing the estimate could be close.

Operating on the 500+ theory I replaced the pump with an O'Reilly steel pump recommended for my car and I've had absolutely no water delivery or cooling problems. One of those races was in 100 degree heat with the air conditioner on!

Unless you are considering a race application as opposed to a driver - street machine, a good steel pump should serve you well.

John

I love this place. Thanks for the great feedback. I will check the difference in prices and then make a decision. Sounds like it is not neccesary for high flow but not a bad idea either. If there is a big enough difference in price, I may opt for stock steel.