Cruise control

vacavillebob

I just purchased the entire cruise controls off a 1971 Monte for $15. He had everything except the turn single handle available that has the button on the end. But I think I can just put a button on the side of the steering post that will work.

He also bent and kinked the cables to the speedometer and to the transmission. Does anyone know if these can be replaced with something other than the original ones.

thank you, Bob

I bought factory cruise control about 25 years ago. It requires two speedometer cables, each shorter than the one you have and one (trans to control unit) has a different "screw on" type connection on each end vs the "quick disconnect" type at the speedometer head. I'm thinking there are ?? 4 ?? wires to the button, not sure. In the factory shop manual, there is a very nice section about the unit. If you take the unit apart, index it first (like you do an alternator). Good luck.

Bruce

Thank you Bruce, since I posted this I have checked out the cables better. seems the tubes are ok and not kinked as he thought. And I hooked a drill to the cables and they turned fine. But looks like one end is not there. So at worst I may only need one cable.

I have not looked in the book yet but will tomorrow.

Thank you, Bob

Bob,

I recommend purchasing the inner part (core) only. They come as cut to fit and with a, one time use, plastic end that you crimp on. As always, measure twice and cut once because the shaft isn't long enough for a do over, neither is the plastic end.

I believe I also had an issue where I needed an external ground wire on the unit itself, because of our plastic inner fenders.

Bruce

Thank you again Bruce: I will look into that, and I can add a ground with out any problem. I was surprised to see only 175 Montes ever came with cruise control.

Maybe its worth more to sell it and buy a new unit. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Bob, I just picked up a 71/72 tilt steering column (Chevelle) that came with a cruise control turn signal lever. It has three wires (red, blue, black). The wire has been cut about 15" from the lever and the "CRUISE" white lettering has significant wear. If you want it, I will send it to you for postage plus a non-cruise control turn signal lever.

If interested, send me a PM.

Mike