2" Headers

cudax

Mike, I can't speak for our Montes but I can relate my experience with 2" primary tube headers on my El Camino. They are 16 gauge and made by Patriot(Also owns Doug's). They are beyond tight. I had to shave the lower control arm perch on both sides. I had to remove and then reinstall the steering shaft. I also had to bring them up from underneath the car. They would not go down into place from the topside of the engine. The driver side was still a PITA and I did scratch them just a little. The starter needed to be installed first. Since I had an oversized oil pan, I needed to go with a smaller oil filter.

All that being said, I really like them now that they are in place.

One recommendation I will give. I tried Pypes "butt" clamps and they are a peach. They are 3" inches wide and will connect exhaust pipes butt to butt. A little expensive at 23 bucks each, but well worth it. - Dave

Pertronix owns Doug's as well as Patriot. I have 1 3/4" on the Monte and only had to grind one small edge off the right lower A-arm like Dave mentioned, otherwise they fit beautiful. I have 2" Doug's in the Chevelle, they are tight but fit well and are high quality.

Remember these cars have been knocked around a bit over the years so some cars are going to accept things better than others. Figure anything you get will need adjusting and then you won't be disappointed.

Unless you're seriouly racing or just want the look you don't need anything over 1 3/4 on a street car...JMO... wink

Unless you're seriouly racing or just want the look you don't need anything over 1 3/4 on a street car...JMO... wink

I agree with Davey on this point. I purchased 2" primaries because I know me ;), this engine may transform into something bigger one day. - Dave

I also have the 2" Hookers and they fit well, esp after reading what Dave wrote.

Plenty of clearance with the steering, passenger side has all the room in the world and I can remove the starter too. But the drivers is really close to the perch and the collector on my particular set was not 100% straight, so it didn't line up with the Pypes exhaust which required me to take to a muffler shop to hook it all up.

My builder recommended 1 7/8" headers. I ordered Sanderson 1 7/8" headers. There suppose to be a good fit on montes. They recommend also using silicon for gaskets. I am opting out of that for copper. It is getting ceramic coated so should come in next week. I am hoping for a nice fit.

Thanks for all the input everyone! I am almost to the point of installing my 496 so I am getting all the exhaust stuff ready. I do have a set of 1 3/4" Doug's but was thinking of going larger, however, it will be a streeter with very little occasional track. So, I will try the 1 3/4" for a while to see how they work out but it is nice to know if I decide to upgrade to 2" that the Hooker Comps should fit with no major issues.

Thanks Again!

Mike

Thanks for all the input everyone! I am almost to the point of installing my 496 so I am getting all the exhaust stuff ready. I do have a set of 1 3/4" Doug's but was thinking of going larger, however, it will be a streeter with very little occasional track. So, I will try the 1 3/4" for a while to see how they work out but it is nice to know if I decide to upgrade to 2" that the Hooker Comps should fit with no major issues.

Thanks Again!

Mike

Hey Mike, I think some of the reasons for my fitment issues got overlooked in the write-up. My oil pan caused most of the issues I had. It's a 7 quart kick out style pan. Thus the problems with the starter and the oil filter. Otherwise, the steering shaft and control arm perches were minor issues. Just wanted to clarify. - Dave

I have the 7 quart kick out pan and the Hooker's fit with no issue except for the relocation of the proportionating valve as the instructions described. When I went to the Edelbrock aluminum heads I did have to dimple 2 of the pipes just a little to make clearance for the steering shaft.

Steve