Alternator Pulley Upsize

I read through some of the older topics for advise but they did not go as far as I wanted to look.

Like many of these FGs, there is often not enough accessory power at low idle; the stereo cuts out at most stop lights. I had read that changing to a larger alternator pulley could help the problem. Possibly a change in water pump as well. If so, what size of pulley would be best to change up to and would a higher flow water pump be required? I assume that the belt would have to be a different size as well?

This problem is really bugging my son when his tunes cut out all the time; no problem on the highway. I did have voltage test done on both alternator and regulator and subsequently replaced the regulator. Would the pulley be model specific?

Let's hear from the voice(s) of authority. Thanks.

Are there underdrive pulleys on the car?

If anything you will "downsize" the pulley, this will speed it up at idle but may speed it too fast at cruise...not sure on what size though.

cool

Is the radio really powerful with a big amp or other big-power draining accessories? A larger pulley on the alternator will slow it down, charge less, and make the problem worse- if that is the problem. To me, it sounds like there is something wrong with the wiring somewhere. The stock charging system can handle most simple radio upgrades.

Mine does the same thing. If I shift to neutral at a stop it works fine. Maybe you can either turn up your idle speed a little, or turn down your radio?

The bigger alt pulley will slow down the alt. That's good for engine power, but bad for charging. If worse comes to worse, they have capacitors that you install between the battery and your amp to eliminate the flickering lights you might have at high volume/slow speeds.

Thanks for comments so far.

The stereo is fairly mild, it has only 100 watt ammplified so it should not drain too much.

There is a problem with the idle that will be resolved when the carb and intake are changed, hopefully.

I see what you mean about the smaller, not larger, pullye.

More comments/suggestions welcome.

check out a powermaster alternator from summitracing.com .

i upgraded to a powermaster for a hundred bucks and it made all the difference in the lighting and electronics in the car. it comes chromed and 100 amp i believe. a big help if you have an amp.

the $100 is worth it. pulleys are not going to help as much.

justin

You could also look into a new style cs130 or cs144 GM alternator. GM had to up the amperage on LOW speeds for computer controls, electric fuel pumps , injectors, and day time running lights. If you do a web search you will find wiring harness adapters to put one in place. If you upgrade to Higher amps make sure you increase the wire size from the alternator feed to handle the extra amps.