Gears??

jim's 70

Well...after a greattrack day...of course.... I want more. I was going through the traps at 5000 rpm.....I can get up to 6200. Sooooo...I'm thinkin there is some room to work with. Currently running 3:42 and a 26" tire....The tires are pretty much done... so I'm thinking 27" tire and maybe bump up to 3:73's.... what do the guru's out there think?

we run the 73's in Red's car, they are a lot of fun....if it's only trapping at 5000 you would have to stay with the 26" to see any appreciable difference though....her car traps at about 5600 with a 28" but it's probably got a little more motor (she has a 3500 Coan too)...the Velle traps at 6100 with 73's and a 28 slick...

what did it run Jim?

best run was 12.78 at 105.

I could stay with a 26....that really dosent matter to me...I'm thinking gears to up the 60ft...right now its 1.8ish.....I'm thrilled with the 12.7 cosidering what I have into the car....but if there is a 12.5 lurking in there...well....you know how it goes lol

yeah I know how it goes....I was just going to take the Velle to Fontana to see what it would do.... eek

nice times Jim, that's about where Red's car started and we've managed to take a second off it so far....a little more gear will help....

Originally Posted By: jim's 70
What do we all think of a 3:90 with a 27" tire??

I was thinking the same thing Jim. And a low first gear set in the trans.

be careful of changing the gear set. If you don't have a high end converter and a stellar trans the shift recovery will kill the power curve (too big of a spread between first and second like a 700r).....3:90's with a 27 will be busy but okay if you're not freeway driving a lot...

I have no intentions of opening up the trans and changing gear sets lol. As of right now..I know the tranny was played with at some point (they painted it blue lol) and I'm 99% sure there is some sort of a shift kit in it, but I highly doubt there is any other then stock gears in it. I am torn between 390 for the track and 373 for all around.....and then there is the thought of a 373 and running a 26in drag radial for the track and the shiney wheels with 27's for normal use. .....and the quest for tenths has gotten serious....or as serious as the budget will allow lol

I have no intentions of opening up the trans and changing gear sets lol. As of right now..I know the tranny was played with at some point (they painted it blue lol) and I'm 99% sure there is some sort of a shift kit in it, but I highly doubt there is any other then stock gears in it. I am torn between 390 for the track and 373 for all around.....and then there is the thought of a 373 and running a 26in drag radial for the track and the shiney wheels with 27's for normal use. .....and the quest for tenths has gotten serious....or as serious as the budget will allow lol

It never ends..........bigger, better, faster more............

To be honest those low gear sets sound like a good idea but they really widen the gear spreads. I see more guys going to 2.20 first gears. And most of the good sets are major paper.