Belt Thrower

TommyP

Well my car has developed a new problem. I can't seem to keep the water pump, alt. belt on at higher rmp's. I drove to a show yesterday about a half hour drive both ways at 2800-3000 rmp without any problems, but when I tried to run through the gears on a open stretch of road near my house shifting at 6000rmp sure enough the belt came off. Luckly I had some tools with me. I put a new belt on it a while back and am wondering if it's the right one. What size belt should I be using? Maybe I've got the wrong width or something.I've been trying to make sure the alighnment is right and it looks pretty good so now I'm looking at the belt.

Hey Tommy, you're spot on looking at alignment, the altenator is usually the culprit. I went through this with Red's car, I really got the alignment as perfect as possible and then installed a deep grove pully on the alt..so far so good.... wink

Sometimes checking alignment of a belt is tough because it's mostly done visually. It's hard to tell if the alternator is keeping the belt going straight from the water pump AND the crank pulley. You can lay a straight edge or ruler across the alternator pulley (avoiding the nut in the middle) and see where it ends up when positioned near the crank pulley, and again when held near the waterpump pulley. Sometimes you can see right away that the straightedge and the belt are leaving the pulley at different angles. (not good). I used a length of angle-iron as a straightedge across the back surface of the waterpump pulley, to find out where your alternator SHOULD be.

My alternator had to be shimed ouward a bit, and tilted backward a tad. I was able to do this by adding some washers here & there. Once you get the belt running straight it forgets about trying to jump off at speed.

Heard and read about this method. Take a laser pen and lay it in the groove of the alt pulley. Rotate the pulley and see where the beam ends up on the groove of the w/p and crank pulley. Then you could shim the alt or w/p to get the proper alignment. Just a thought.

David