pvc valve/add oil

ejw71

Will be using 1960s Corvette finned aluminum valve covers. These are without provisions for pvc valve or oil cap. This is what makes them so neat and uncluttered. But what about pvc valve attachment and adding oil? Thanks, Ed

------------------

'71 Black 406/700R4

'71 Sandalwood SS454

'71 Project, Chopped, LS1/4L60E/12Bolt

Ed, if i am correct (doubtful wink.gif ) those were only used on motors with the oil tube coming out the front of the intake manifold. You need the pcv valve so the engine can breathe, as for adding oil you can put the covers on with rubber gaskets, and wingnuts wink.gifbiggrin.gif

------------------

Chevy_anim_drkgreen.gif We who are truly brave will never live in fear...The Rock Chevy_anim_drkgreen.gif

1972 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

My Monte Carlo Page

monte_thumb.JPG

Pete@firstgenmc.com

That's correct Pete. However, I'm using a late model factory aluminum intake. I'm thinking about drilling a hole in intake between carb and distributor for pvc valve. Then just remove it to pour in oil. Ed

[This message has been edited by ejw71 (edited 07-27-2002).]

ejw.......you could do that BUT.........

for the PCV to work there also has to be a way for air to enter the crankcase . perhaps another hole drilled back there as well with a hose to the air filter housing and you would be ok .

mike

Indeed, those engines had an oil fill tube in the front of the intake. They also used what was called a "road draft tube" that was mounted in the rear of the intake. It was a metal tube that ran down the side of the bellhousing to the bottom of the engine. When the car was driven down the road the air moving across the bottom end of the tube pulled the blowby gasses out of the lifter valley and pulled fresh air in through the vents in the oil filler cap. It was simple and it worked.

It worked, but not very well. All the older cars had 'em until the invention of Positive Crankcase Ventilation. (PVC) Those old engines sludge up pretty bad and the road draft tube spews an oil vapor like a chimney.

To do a custom job of installing those valve covers without drilling them and still retain your PVC system, maybe you could use a plate under them with the required plumbing at the back of the plates.

You would need some type of oil splash removing sheet metal box installed under the manifold so that vapors only could get into the lines. I have an older set of valve covers on my engine and had to make one. Wasn't difficult to make. You could drill some small holes from the bottom of the manifold (not all the way through) to attach it.

------------------

George Lines

Checked out PCV arrangement on my '67 Pontiac. Has a grommet in valley pan under intake manifold which contains the PCV and from it a rubber line runs to both intake runners to pick up the vacumn. This is arrangement I'll use but with only one line to carb base for vacumn. Thanks for the ideas and help. Ed

------------------

'71 Black 406/700R4

'71 Sandalwood SS454

'71 Project, Chopped, LS1/4L60E/12Bolt