I gave up on the v-belts...

John Burns

I had the stock GM big block pulleys and it just kept throwing belts. I tried different pulleys, a zillion different ways to align them... nothing. It seemed that it got much worse when I got the car making more power. And all of this is even more frustrating because my 10-second Camaro has a v-belt that is miles long and it never jumps off! The big difference is that the alternator is on the drivers side on the Camaro.

I am not a fan of aftermarket stuff, but I was desperate. I got this March pulley set: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MCH-7640/ (with -08 for black p-coat). Love it- I have been beating the poo out of the Monte and it isn't even a thought any more... (and it runs a few degrees cooler too- nice side bennie.)

Not that I'll go back, but I would love to know the secret to an 11-second big block with stock pulleys and belts. More than a few of you are there!

As far as pulleys go you can forget about stock with any large cubic inch, or big HP motor as they will always throw the alternator belt if on the passenger side. I switched to March deep V pulleys a long time ago and have never had any issues throwing belts.

Years and years ago I went to a GM deep groove alt pulley, and then to a little bit larger Moroso pulley and never had a problem with either with many 6000 + rpms runs. V-belts just look right to me on these old engines.

Note: The Moroso pulley can't handle a 700 rpm idle with lights, radio, wipers, and ac on. But my AC is busted and I don't drive in the rain... grin

• 4 weeks later...

March V-pulleys huh? I didn't trust the V enough to try it. Of course, now I am interested! I don't hate the flat belt, but you guys are right, they just look right with Vs. Maybe I'll give them a shot- someday!

Here is what it looks like

002.jpg

March V-pulleys huh? I didn't trust the V enough to try it. Of course, now I am interested! I don't hate the flat belt, but you guys are right, they just look right with Vs. Maybe I'll give them a shot- someday!

Here is what it looks like

002.jpg

Where did this pully/belt set up come from I like it?

I like it too- I drove the car about 100 miles yesterday- 2 passes at Cecil included. No issues with belts!

It is March pulley set: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MCH-7640/ (with -08 for black p-coat).

The ps pulley is not included- you have figure out what pump you have and order it separately.

I run the March stuff too, pulleys are great the march power steering bracket not so much.

The big question is, what did it run!?

Oh that! smile

11.95 @ 112.9 I'm pretty happy with that considering I did zero prep. I woke up and thought- "it's nice out- track time!", shook the wife and told her I'd be back in a few hours and drove to the track. I didn't even bring any tools- fun way to start the weekend!