Paint and body work?

jacob

For repairing rusted areas and SMALL rust holes, I have used the following technique;

1) sand or grind away as much rust as possible 2) apply a rust converter (like POR15 Prep & Ready) 3) fill as needed with All Metal body filler 4) prime (I used everything from primer/surfacer to canned primer depending on the situation) 5) paint.

For any rust holes larger that about a dime, I would patch with a metal panel.

I did this work on my '55 in the early 90s and it has held up great with no problems.

Your best bet when you get your car identify the problem areas and work on 1 panel at a time. Others have given you good advice not to fill rust holes with Bondo, that is no way to make a lasting repair. Your best bet is to start with bare metal,and then epoxy prime that and do any bodywork over the epoxy. Epoxy is waterproof, therefore if you ever get a stone chip or anything where your bodywork is, the moisture that the bondo wicks in, will not rust the bare metal underneath and cause issues.

All the resto's Ive done in the last 10 years or so Ive done this way, epoxy priming things is the way to go

Get yourself a book on bodywork, and read up on it

yeah I see what your saying it makes sense I have read a book on painting but most of the stuff I alredy knew. I saw this stuff on gearz he panel and sprayed some stuff on it and wiped it down with a tach cloth I didnt realy see what it was. I saw the same thing again and they said it removed finger prints and the rag removed dirt and things you cant tell was there what was that stuff? they both did that before painting and it was really neat has any one used some thing similar and where do tou get it?

If I am not mistaken that is wax and grease remover. I have gotten mie from wal-mart or any poaint and auto supply store will carry it. It is used to get the wax and grease off before you paint. If you have any type of wax or grease on the primer etc you will get fish-eyes.

It is specific for body work and painting not any degreaser.

Here is a link to some that Summit Racing sales:

wax and grease remover

Tack Cloths from same company.

You can probably pick these up at your local auto paint store, auto parts store or wal-mart as well.

so its just degreaser well where do you get the tach cloths?

If your looking for those small yellow tack cloths they use to wipe down the surface prior to pain application you can find them cheap at Wal Mart in the automotive section with the spray paints. They can be found in most automotive body shop supply shops as well and I think in most UAP/NAPA, Pep Boys etc in there automotive body work section. They work OK but I like the pro grade prep from a can (3M) and a good WHITE clean 100 cotton cloth over the surface.

That is what the pro's use so why not mimic the best option and spend a few $ more for it. Panel Prep or something like that...I'd go to a pro body shop supply store or ask at a local body shop what they use and how to get it....your young so they likely won't just blow you off if you show interest in doing it right....

Hey if ya go in as a profession maybe some of the old timers here will someday bring there cars to you for restoration...;)

got a tach cloth for 3 dollars I thought it would ge smaller its 1.ft x 1 yd. I saw that degreaser its neat I will have to get some.