BB -Engine and Exhaust,Rebuild Help & Opinions

snomobeelr

Sorry for being long winded : I have motor and everthing else out of the car. Exhaust is definatly going to be Redone New. I was going to just clean up the motor and paint it, and replace the Performer Manifold with an RPM/Airgap intake. I originally had the Motor rebuilt in 1989/1990 maybe just answered my own question. It was Balanced heads are 781 casting with bigger valves 9-1 compression with a mild 280 Comp cam. Motor is actually on the 3rd cam. Engine maybe has 10000 miles on it.

Before I pulled it to start restoring the car this last time my oil pressure dropped 10 PSI at Idle. Turns out the Sumps was not tacked in and had pulled out and dropped some. Any how Now I am thinking of going with a roller cam and thinking so far down smay just have the motor gone through cleaned new cam and maybe bump the compression up.

Seening some of the other posts I see the Lunati roller cam is recomended so I will give them a call. Does anyone know a decent machine shop in the chicagoland area? Car is driven as a crusier like driving it and hammering on it around town. Dont get to the track..

I Also will need headers and see posTing on issues with proportioning valve. The set I had was Hedman 1 3/4 inch headers and no problem with the original location of the Proportioning valve. I will be getting new headers and exhast as well. Will new 1 3/4 be ok if I bump up the motor or will I need 2 inch.. I am also planing on a Torque Tech and or Pypes Mandrel bent exhaust. should that be 2 1/2 or 3 inch?

Thnks you

Current Build:

9-1 compression

280 Comp Cam

stock heads 781 casting with larger Valves

Air Gap RPM Intake

Turbo 400 Trans

3.7. rear end

It sounds like you have a pretty good engine combo going right now. Checking my bearings and crank would be the first order of business. How are you going to get that compression bump? New pistons or cutting heads? New pistons would require a rebalance of the assembly. hat type of head gaskets are you running? If you have composition head gaskets, steel shim head gaskets would give you a slight bump in compression. A hydraulic roller would be a nice addition.

I think that 1 3/4 headers are the way to go with you combo.

What converter are you running?

I Didn't think of the need to rebalance so Maybe I'll keep it at 9-1. The stall I have if I remember corectly is basically stock, 1200. So maybe just do the Roller Cam Lifters get matching springs and roller Rockers? Leave the compression. I always thought about a Turbo, maybe in the Future for that and I belive low compresion is good for that. I dont remember what type of head gasket is on there. What type of converter would I want?