Holley Carb for sbc 650/Intake

1970MonteMotion

I'm noot sure if you can tell from the pictures, but the list numbers I grabbed from the carb read 6853-2316. I matched it up to what i think is, a model # 4165 which is the 650 CFM Four Barrel Street CarburetorPART #: 0-6210, I believe. It looks like the pic I dug up. Some features are,

•Mechanical secondaries

•Single feed fuel inlet

•Divorced choke

•Dual accelerator pumps

•All emissions provisions

•Designed as a emissions legal performance replacement for Q-jet on certain GM applications.

I dont think the back two barrels are opening at w.o.t. The car moves, and downshifts (like my passing gear is working), but not like it should. I'm going to take to a garage where they know their carbs. Other than a rebuild kit, should I ask them to do anything else to it? I dont think it is a vaccum secondary and a guy told me to have them install a secondary metering block on your carb. He said this is a really good thing because it makes jetting the secondary carb a snap. Also, I took some pics of my aluminum Holley intake, but other than a firing order and the word "Holley" stamped on the front, I'm sure which model it is. Any suggestions, these pics may not help much, but may.

carb10.jpg

carbii10.jpg

intake10.jpg

intake11.jpg

I would guess street dominator also. If I remember it was when the style was to have a single-plane manifold with small runners to get back the low end touque that single planes traditionaly loose. It would fit with the carburator also it is Holley's attempt to get in on the q-jet market and that combo was very popular in the late 70's earlier 80's. There are much better combo's these days. Are you wanting to replace it? If it were me I wouldn't put a lot of money in to it. Holley did/does make a vacum secondary model. It might be worth it if you can find a used one cheap. I don't thing Holley sells a lot of them. There is probably a reason. I ran the same exact one on my 1972 in 1979 and was much happier with the q-jet. The mecanical secondaries bogged badly if I nailed it too quick. David

My guess is that it is a Holley intake that is no longer made! When Holley bought Weiand they dumped some of their product line. It looks like a dual plane spread bore intake because the 4165 is a spread bore and it is on here without and adapter.

The carb is a spread bore style and it does have a metering block on the secondary side so it would not need to have one added.

I'm just guessing!

I have seen these 4165 work really well they are a little different from a standard holley

Thanks guys. I'm here to learn, and if a better set-up is available, I would like to upgrade. Moneyy isn't a real issue. I just want it done right. My dad said a vaccum secondary would be the way to go, so I will buy a new one this week sometime. I've been told 650 cfm is plenty of carb for my sb, so I guess that will do it on the carb. Should I replace the intake as well?

What are your plans for the engine?

The Torquer II will take away some bottom end and may not be well suited for your cam. The Torquer II is a single plane manifold they say 2500 to 6500 power band. Unless you have a really healthy 350 and some gear I think a dual plane would be a better choice.

I had one of those 650 spread bore double pumpers for a while on a 350. It was a tough one to tune as the secondaries were so huge, it need a gigantic pump shot to keep it from hesitating when you mash it. It never ran right. I finally went to a square flange Holley.

That carb was meant to be a Q-Jet replacement. With the engine off, have a buddy floor it and peer down the carb and see if the secondaries are opening all the way. Could just need linkage adjustment.

Or maybe they are opening but the engine can't handle the air flow and its bogging. If your engine is fairly mild, a Q-Jet may run better, give you better mileage, and better performance. If the manifold is drilled for both a spread bore and square flange carb (like most Edelbrocks), then a new Holley square flange may be easier to tune. Just some thoughts......

Ok, I was looking at the Weiand 8150 hi rise, dual plane, stealth series. The range is 1500 to 6700 RPM. Another one I spotted was the Weiand 7531 single plane, open plenum design. The range on it is 3000 - 8200 RPM, designed for 350's with rectangular port heads. Now I do plan to change the heads to Vortecs or better, and I want a stall also. My last engine was from 1971 corvette, and was an LT1. It had 327 heads, headers, big Lunati cam, and stall was 2800-3000. Not sure why it was set up that way, but seemed to work and mos def hauled butt. With my current engine, (factory 300hp) I am adding cam, headers, intake, new vacuum secondary carb, and maybe Vortec heads, but like to leave room to add, when I consider hopping up the bottom end. My stall converter will most likely be somewhere around 2200-3000, so should I get an intake that is going to be functional around these rpms? Am I suppose to know which stall to choose based on the intake, cam, vice versa? Which order? Really getting a little rattled by this...

Ok, I was looking at the Weiand 8150 hi rise, dual plane, stealth series. The range is 1500 to 6700 RPM. Another one I spotted was the Weiand 7531 single plane, open plenum design. The range on it is 3000 - 8200 RPM, designed for 350's with rectangular port heads. Now I do plan to change the heads to Vortecs or better, and I want a stall also. My last engine was from 1971 corvette, and was an LT1. It had 327 heads, headers, big Lunati cam, and stall was 2800-3000. Not sure why it was set up that way, but seemed to work and mos def hauled butt. With my current engine, (factory 300hp) I am adding cam, headers, intake, new vacuum secondary carb, and maybe Vortec heads, but like to leave room to add, when I consider hopping up the bottom end. My stall converter will most likely be somewhere around 2200-3000, so should I get an intake that is going to be functional around these rpms? Am I suppose to know which stall to choose based on the intake, cam, vice versa? Which order? Really getting a little rattled by this...
BUMP for a good question.