Which trans and how much do you want to pay.

Blue502

I have a 700R4 in my MC.It's the weakest link in the car and won't last long at the track.I called my trans guy today to get some prices.The optimum trans would be a 4L80E.If you want the best money can buy you're looking at about $6000 with convertor,driveshaft,controller etc.A well built 400 with convertor and driveshaft is about $2000.The 4L80E is also a much more involved install.I guess it'll be a 400 this year and a Gear Vendors OD next year.Nothens cheap these days. night

I think that for high HP levels and a lot of track use the TH400 and eventually a gear vendors is a better choice. The 4L80 is very expensive, but if you don't mind shifting you can go with a manual valve body and don't need a controller. Than makes the cost more affordable. From what I am reading the input shaft on the 4L80 is the limiting factor at about 750 HP there are aftermarket shafts but not cheap. The 200r4 can be built to handle some pretty good HP levels and has better gear splits than a 700, but it will still be a weak link in a high horsepower heavy car. Personally, I run a 400 and a 4.10 gear and a high stall converter. I still cruise but it does not see a lot of highway miles. If I am going long distances or to the track it is going in the trailer. I guess it all is in what you plans are for the car. If I ever decide to do something like drag week I would put in a gear vendors OD.

Having had two 700R4 trannies in my 72 I'm with Mike57 on this one. If money is no option go with the 4L80 with the stand alone controller and a hardened input shaft. Once I got to over 500HP at the wheels my 700R4 with the strongest parts money can buy even after 40 chassis dyno thrashings started to make me nervous and I switched to a turbo 400. A gear Vendors is next and last thing I'll ever do to improve the drivability of my car in it's current configuration. Down the road my engine is going back to close to it's original bulld as just a good power street mill and when that happens if I don't already have a Gear Vendors OD I'll install a 4L80 tranny. Hope that helps.

It costs around $400 to build a 900HP TH400 between a Master kit and a few key parts. I do around one a month and I do it simply.

Gimme a good core and $800, I give you something you won't likely break as long as you don't do anything stupid like a neutral to drive tranny drop at 6000 rpm. Or hit a 450 shot of spray in your big block off the line on slicks with a 5000 stall. But I only do them locally, so don't take it as an offer, please.

Parting out an 06 3500 van today that has a 6.0/4L80E in it. I figure cam, springs, intake, single 90MM turbo, and a full manual controller for the trans, I should get my 78 Malibu in the 8s at well over 160. Did I mention in West Palm if your car isn't in the 8's you aint even in the game?

6K is for the 4L80E with all the best parts.Guaranteed to handle 1000+HP.That was also with all electronics.Stock 400,mid 8s?Hmmm...

I ran 8s for 10 years in a heavy GN.23#s on the brake off the start.After a full season and over 100 passes we pulled it apart.You could still read the writing on the clutches.Those 400s are cheap and strong.I would still never chance hurting my motor with a stock 400.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/small-block-big-block-chevy-specific/1492924-test.html

Damn your tranny guy using gold parts..6K is stupid money.....My buddy running mid 8's with a basic Stock T400 and convertor..... You dont need anything special.like Andy says a T400 with a fresh rebuild can be had for less than $1k

That's a good deal Andy.My guy is one of the best in the country.His 400 will cost $1250 and it will take a 450 shot and slicks.

The 6.0 is a great platform for big power.You will need forged internals to go that fast though.I like the block because it is iron and the 317 heads work well right out of the box and keep compression down.The stock crank will handle 1000HP but I'd rather have a Dragon Slayer or something close.I just sold my TTI twin turbo C5.It made 717RWHP but only ran 9.9s @ 144 on pump gas and Meth at 14#s.If I could have hooked it would have gone 9.5s or quicker if I had turned it up.It was a real street car and I drove it from Toronto to FT Meyers.Over 1300 miles and yes the AC worked.I've made lots of passes at Gainsville and Bradenton.My winter place is about 30 miles from Garlit's museum just outside of Ocklawaha.

It costs around $400 to build a 900HP TH400 between a Master kit and a few key parts. I do around one a month and I do it simply.

Gimme a good core and $800, I give you something you won't likely break as long as you don't do anything stupid like a neutral to drive tranny drop at 6000 rpm. Or hit a 450 shot of spray in your big block off the line on slicks with a 5000 stall. But I only do them locally, so don't take it as an offer, please.

Parting out an 06 3500 van today that has a 6.0/4L80E in it. I figure cam, springs, intake, single 90MM turbo, and a full manual controller for the trans, I should get my 78 Malibu in the 8s at well over 160. Did I mention in West Palm if your car isn't in the 8's you aint even in the game?

Well before I would spend 6k on a 4l80 I would spend 2k on a 200r4 thats bullet proof.Noway in the world you would need a 6k transmission...and my buddy went 8.38@15x with about a 200shot with that basically stock 400 at the end of the year.he has numerous passes on it and Like me swears by it.I get my freshened up every few years for the most part

How much does his car weigh Paul?I would rather spend the extra $400 to get my 400 done with a warrentie, then to run one that is almost stock.My MC has a full frame added to the stock frame.I'm sure my car is well over 4000#s.I also like to leave with full power on the brake and be assured I won't be breaking anything.Just piece of mind I guess.All the power to you and your friend if you are getting away with stock parts.My car will make 750+ on the motor with a V1S and I may hit it with a small shot, if I am not happy with the numbers.We'll see.If that doesn't work I will go to twins and that will really put a strain on the drivetrain.I've ran 200s well into the low 10s.Not a chance I will put one in a car this heavy.

Well before I would spend 6k on a 4l80 I would spend 2k on a 200r4 thats bullet proof.Noway in the world you would need a 6k transmission...and my buddy went 8.38@15x with about a 200shot with that basically stock 400 at the end of the year.he has numerous passes on it and Like me swears by it.I get my freshened up every few years for the most part

His car is a Mustang weighs in at 3450# and has a 600in ford motor.I believe he has been hi 1,2's and definitly low 1,3's ....... I really feel you can get away with a 400 and if you want upgrade the internals, unless your wanting the Overdrive..... if thats the case My tranny guy builds 200's for Grand Nationals running mid 9's he ships them all over.I can talk to him to find out about the 4l80's and see what he has to say about them and see what he says about the weight of your car.I have known him for 30 yrs as we went to HS together and he wont BS me, he will give me a straight up answer

OK.I've heard of them.I've been through Akron a bunch of times.

Friends of mine are near there.Red and Jane Armstrong.They own Quad Air and specialize in GN parts.Red is very smart and owns one of the fastest GNs in the country.I raced at a small local track there once.I can't remember the name but it is about 200 miles outside Akron.

It must be nice living close to Summitt.