Valve covers

Murphy

This might sound goofy for some of the gearheads out there, but on my SBC350 I want to replace the valve covers as the stock steel ones are pretty boring....The drivers side cover has the oil fill cap and the breather tube from the charcoal canister, most valve covers that I've looked at from Jegs or Summit, etc only show one hole in the valve cover. Is there a way to combine the breather & oilfill cap or what do you do??

Hi Murphy,

You can purchase a cap that acts a breather and oil cap. Just make sure that your aftermarket v/c have baffles in them. I ran my PCV on the passenger side and the breather/oil cap on the drivers on my old 385. Some of the baffle designs might make it a little tough to add oil. Just takes a little time.

David

If they are TALL valve covers, you will probably have an issue with your a/c bracket. I know I did. It would go together but I had no room for movement to tighten and loosen the belts. Soooo, out came everything related to the heater and a/c, inside the cabin and engine compartment. Clean up alot of un-needed items. - Dave

Some choices you may not have come across

Yourcovers.com

Carbon Fiber covers

Then theres is all offered at Summit, GM Performance, Billet Specialties and such ... Thought you may not have seen these two.

EBay also has some NOS older style ones that are vintage looking also. You can make any of them work. Problem is a lot of them do not have good baffles to keep oil from getting into PCV. Make sure they are adequate. I am going to use one of these on mine. Wysco Valve cover Oil Baffle

Dan

I just put some GM performance chrome covers on my 350. Black Chevrolet and red bow tie. Boy they look a whole lot better than those cheap Eldebrock that kept leaking. Thought about the Aluminum ones but then decided the chrome would be easier ot keep clean.