Good small block headers?

MikeResko

Hi gang,

I have a set of Summit(Flowtech) ceramic coated headers for my 1970. The barely fit with the stock heads and now with the Pro Comp heads they do not fit at all. Can anyone point me in the right direction?-I'm desperate. The are straight plugs by the way. I have short plugs and the headers hit the plugs.

hey thats wierd... i have the same headers, jus not jet coated and mine fit with no problems. I have to use short plugs but other that that, no problems or clearance issues...Im going to change to a set of Hooker comp's pretty soon, I ve heard good things about them. try those or some dougs headers, but their expensive tho!!!

ahhh my 100th post....thats cool now all I have to do is get a picture of my car on here!!!!!!!!

Mike you have the version of the head which has the plugs moved up closer to the top of the chamber instaed of lower down by the deck don't you. There are two different versions of those heads, different raw castings from different foundries.

If I remember correctly the raised version is about a 1/4" higher and causes several of the plugs to hit on cheaper headers.

I would look into a set of hedman headers! The hookers are getting a like slopy latley.

Bigschat, I hope you are not looking at the doug's TRI Y headers! Those are old school "stuff"! The tri y was first done for the first gen mustang because they fit better than a 4 into 1 header.

I have seen the articles claiming more torque with out loss of top end power! Thats pure BS! They make decent mid range but suck on both ends of the powerbands!

Doug Thorely was the one that built the original tri y's back in the 60's, his claim to fame, if they were/are so great why doesn't any other quality header maker have a line of tri y's? Don't throw the flow tech afterburner header in the mix here as they are junk as well. I know alot of the guy's here have flow tech headers, but sorry to say they are a cheap low quality header from a performance standpoint. They are better than factory manifolds yes. Ok for a cruiser, but they don't work well with alot of aftermarket heads.

The same rules that apply to a performance engine apply to parts as well.

#1) Quality parts aren't cheap!

#2) Cheap parts aren't quality!

Don

Don, I guess this question is aimed at you: Have you ever dealt with the headers from "Headers by Ed"?

I remember their ads from way-way back in magazines and I ordered up their info-pack. There is some very compelling stuff in there and pretty much they will give you the recipie for a header (tube dia , length, and collector size)and sell you the flange plates and bends to fab them yourself. They make some in their shop, but because they are hand made they are patheticly slow to build them, and they do Chevelle but not Monte.

Have you read their literature, or seen their product? Any thoughts on someone building their own header? (i'm dealing with a big-block, but the nightmare shouldn't be that different, right? I'm looking for a street header that can build torque below 6k)

What would make a set of headers fit a 1972 Monte ,but not a 1970? I talked to Schoenfeld on the phone and they say that they do not make a header for the 1970-just the 1972 and up. Sounds goofy to me. Anyone?

What would make a set of headers fit a 1972 Monte ,but not a 1970? I talked to Schoenfeld on the phone and they say that they do not make a header for the 1970-just the 1972 and up. Sounds goofy to me. Anyone?

I've seen that before and called and ask why, was told by them that 72 was the first year of a new body style that ran till 76!?

I told the fellow on the phone that whoever made their listing need to better research. that 70 to 72 was first gen, 73 to 77 was sec gen, 78 to 88 was the g-body metric chassis. Well I don't know about that but I'll pass that info along and have someone check it out was his response 3 years ago! I just take it we are all wrong and they now better!LOL

Don

Don, I guess this question is aimed at you: Have you ever dealt with the headers from "Headers by Ed"?

I remember their ads from way-way back in magazines and I ordered up their info-pack. There is some very compelling stuff in there and pretty much they will give you the recipie for a header (tube dia , length, and collector size)and sell you the flange plates and bends to fab them yourself. They make some in their shop, but because they are hand made they are patheticly slow to build them, and they do Chevelle but not Monte.

Have you read their literature, or seen their product? Any thoughts on someone building their own header? (i'm dealing with a big-block, but the nightmare shouldn't be that different, right? I'm looking for a street header that can build torque below 6k)

Yes I have heard of hedders by ED, I have called there before. Never saw his info deal, but from what I heard and have seen in use, He is an odd duck! He has his own way of thinking for sure, Have seen a few sets of his shop built stuff on the dyno before and it did work any better than an off the shelf Hedman or Hooker. From what I have seen it's a waste of money and time following ED's way!

If you really want the best header possible check into Lemons headers in Paso Robles Cali. www.lemonsheaders.com They don't show a Monte header but they do/will build them. Give them all your info and let them tell you what you need. They make some of the best performing headers going, way beyond anything I've ever seen from the other custome type header guy's!

Don

I put a a set of Heddmen torque steps that I had ceramic coated on my 385. They go from an 1 1/2" to 1 5/8" primaries to a 3" collector. They have been on the car for almost 4 years with zero issues. Clears plugs and wires and they don't hang low at all. I have heard different opinions on the torque step design. Some say it helps with the low end other say it doesn't make any diff. Don may be able to answer if it is just a sales pitch or they actually do help.

David

Originally posted by Rice Racing1:

if they were/are so great why doesn't any other quality header maker have a line of tri y's? Don

Lemonsheaders makes tri-y confused [/quote Just looked at the sight and they are new. Talked to one of the rep's and he said they started making them for the street rods guy's that want a "top quality" TRI-Y for the look. They would be better than a stock manifold in a tight fit app.

Don

• 8 months later...

I use Holley Hooker headers and they fit good and sound great. Mine were only $170. I am happy with them. I bought cheaper headers before and they gave me trouble all the time and they blew out all the gaskets until I bought aluminum ones. Anyway, I couldnt find anything wrong with the headers and it all looked good so I sold them to my friend with a 1970 Nva and he never had any prbs.