M20 parts source

Sam (Bones)

Morning Sam, I got all my stuff for the M-21 from a guy Stateside there off of Ebay, I think he goes by Mr Muncie...let me take a quick look I'll edit this after...His prices were good and hade everything I needed and all was original GM and fit perfect and was balsted and coated which save me $$ and time... Darren.

Hey Sam. His name is Bruce, I spoke to him quite a few times from up here in Canada, real nice guy easy to work with and his Ebaymotors ID is Teammuncie... hope that helps as you know when I was contacting you on this set up I was haveing a heck of a time finding parts but not now...

mrj52 (aka Tim) knows more about Muncie Transmissions than anyone I know.

Yeah Kevin, your right I forgot about Tim.. He does know a lot about these trannys...good call. smile

Darren.

• 2 weeks later...

M20 question....I'm curious on which spline count is needed on a SBC350, going to convert from TH350 to M20. I'll be getting a new flywheel,of course, but which is recommended??Have found several m20's dated 68 to 71 for around $700.....

Murray,

You may find the following site helpful in answering your questions:

http://www.chevellestuff.com/qd/muncie.htm

Apparently number cast in the tailshaft housing is the one that you need to pay attention to:

3857584 1966 - 1970 Passenger side speedometer, 27 spline

3978764 1970 - 1974 Passenger side speedometer, 32 spline

This information from the site above would indicate that your '71 would have received an M20 with a tailshaft housing stamped with "39787" which would nhave a 32 tooth output spline. However it would have also received a matching U joint on the driveshaft. What you probably need to determine is what your current TH350 and drive shaft spline count is if you want to match it.

If you have a 27 tooth drive shaft U joint, you will want to get and M20 stamped "3857384" on the tail housing like mine (see below).

P2100102.jpg

You will probably only want to consider M20s with a main case casting number of 3925661 for 1970 to 1974 production models. Also, you will obviously need to match your pressure plate splines to your input shaft splines.

Note this quote from the site above:

"There are 7 different input shaft possibilities on a Muncie. All 26 spline inputs came with 32 spline output shafts and all 10 spline inputs came with 27 spline output shafts."

Actually, you should be able to select the best M20 available to you for the price and then match the pressure plate and drive shaft U joint to the input and output shafts, respectively.

Sorry this is not a difinitive answer, but it should give you some possible options. Maybe some member that has already done this swap can give you more specific guidance. Good luck.

Murray,

Actually, you should be able to select the best M20 available to you for the price and then match the pressure plate and drive shaft U joint to the input and output shafts, respectively.

you'll just need the correct clutch disc and trans yolk, maybe a new drive shaft (length maybe different)

All good info Dennis, as usual! I have been reviewing Muncie documentation which is widely available, and am wondering which input would be preferred 10 spline or 26 spline? Since I am basically building from scratch......I can do what I want (with a little advice) as I'm told the drive shaft needs to be replaced anyway.

Talked with a guy today who has been rebuilding Muncie's for 30yrs, his comments were that a 26 spline input was 4 times stronger than a 10 spline input shaft. Also, the respective output spline differences made a huge difference in the overall durablility of the tranny. The advice to me was that using a higher splined shaft was definately the way to go since I'm building basically from scratch in a conversion from a TH350. Just wanted to pass along the info..........

• 2 weeks later...