What are correct headlights for 12-1969 built 70 SS454

Dans '70 Z20

I have been told I can go either with the T3's or the Power beams but was wondering if anyone had more accurate info. My car was built 2nd week December 1969.

Trying to figure out what to look out for.

Any help appreciated.

Dan

I know the T-3's were available for the 4-lamp system (smaller diameter lamps), but did they make a T-3 for the larger 2-lamp system?

I'm not sure. I think the '70 Chevelle had the T-3's, but it had 4-lamp system.

[ edit: I found the answer.]

T-3 bulbs

Check out this place. They have all kinds of goodies including OEM headlamp switches, underhood lamps, relays, power window stuff, dash cluster printed circuit boards and more.

Use their online catalog.

I saved this to my favorites list.

Electrical parts

Wow! What a find. They have period correct look but the brightness of the bulbs of today. Only problem is ...after talking to the coding gurus Leo Konik, Bob Lyman, and Steve Demers our cars are believed to all have come with the AC Power Beam headlamps. Chevelles used the T-3's through 71 until they switched to a 2-light system in 72 but it looks like Camaros, Novas & Monte's with 2-Lamp systems switched to the Power Beams from 1970. Now if you had an early build date for a 1970 Monte could you have the T3's...who knows. Based on what Leo Konik said was since he has been parting these cars since the mid seventies he has never seen a Monte with the T3's. GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME!!

Anyway I e.mailed the above website to see if they had any plans to reproduce the Power Beams in a similar way that they reproduce the T-3's. I will keep you guys posted when I get a response.

Dan

Dan,

My car was Sept. '69 Van Nuys and had power beams. I bought a pair of T3's a long time ago for the look, and like you, I'll wait for the Power Beams, but at least have something cool for now.

Tom

• 1 month later...

There's a guy that sets up at Carlisle in the Spring I think that sells NOS power beam headlights for $50 each. I know that he is in P row by the fence, opposite end from the Turnpike. Most of the lights he has are the heavy duty bulbs (6014 I think) rather than the 6016 which were factory (I may have those numbers reversed ... I have to check my inventory).