badges/emblems

Dont know if this shows any significance or none at all. I was wondering how many 72 monte carlos had badges on the back saying custom? did all have this? some but not all? wut does it signify? Ive searched for quite awhile and cant seem to figure out if it means anything really...

Yes, the '72-only "CUSTOM" emblems do mean something!

Cars with the "CUSTOM" emblems following the "Monte Carlo" script emblems on the sail panels are equipped with the "Custom" option. This comprised most of the '70/'71 SS454 suspension components with a few luxury/convenience items and a few special trimmings. Externally, Customs included the "CUSTOM" emblems, a driver's side remote control body-colored sport mirror, 3/4" wide "belt moldings" (wider chrome trim at the base of the side windows), and Custom wheel covers (the multi-spoked design that is often referred to as "Corvette-style wheel covers) on 15"x7" wheels shod with G70-15 blackwall tires.

I also believe that in most cases it included the Custom steering wheel as well as a few other interior items. I don't know how many were produced, exactly, but I'm sure someone else could help you out in that respect. wink

Hope this helps,

Dave

Well im asking because on one side anyway where the badge still exists on my monte it says custom. so much has been changed over time everything your talkin about that was added as that special option isnt noticeable. mirrors have been changed, steering wheel has been changed, wheels are not original also. is there anyway i can tell for sure whether or not it really is the "custom" version ?

The link taht Marchie posted should answer a lot of the questions that you have, if are refering to a custom badge on the rear of the car, I don't think there were any that had that, they were on the sail panels only.

My 72 custom has the custom steering wheel and the 3/4" wide belt mouldings on the doors that are a good starting point to look for if it has the package or not.

If the car was built in Canada you can order the sheet which will tell you for sure what options it came with.

Don