th400 mod

Charger3488

How will the car be used? Depending on usage, a properly picked/made converter and or a transmission cooler. Changing to synthetic fluid if your trans was recently freshned up or rebuilt. Heat is the number 1 killer of your transmission and drivetrain parts. Proper use of these parts will make car move more efficiently, run cooler and last longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Other then the shift kit there is not a lot you can do without pulling the trans.Just make sure you get a large cooler and place it in a direct air flow area in front of the fan for when the car is idling in traffic on a hot day.A trans temp gauge is a good idea.Even stock the 400 is a tough trans.

• 2 weeks later...

Piece of mind says a hardened input shaft ($300 min), a hardened sprag ($250 min) will do the trick, but reality is a good working 400 should handle 700 hp all day long. I tend to go a little nuts when I build them but my 10 sec Bu struts its stuff through a pretty much stock but rebuilt TH400.

Piece of mind says a hardened input shaft ($300 min), a hardened sprag ($250 min) will do the trick, but reality is a good working 400 should handle 700 hp all day long. I tend to go a little nuts when I build them but my 10 sec Bu struts its stuff through a pretty much stock but rebuilt TH400.

pretty much what Andy said but as long as you're in there I would add a steel front hub and a case strengthener. The cast hubs have been known to explode under heavy torque loads and the case piece is a simple clip that holds things in place on the inside....probably about $175 total... wink