Hesitation

Leghome

My 72 has a hesitation after shifting out of 2nd gear. It is a 700R4 tranny. I was wondering if the TPI cable could be out of adjustment not giving the tranny enough pressure to shift correctly. Before I pulled the drive train it seemed to do just fine but I have had trouble finding a bracket for the accelerator cable and tranny cable mounting and getting the correct lengths on the tranny cable. I have tried three different brackets and one was so far off you could not even get the tranny to shift out of first gear. The bracket I am now using has just one bolt on the back corner of the carb holding it in place. The has made some difference when I get it set so the cable is at there farthest point from the carb it seems to shift better. I have adjusted the bracket as much as can be done. I am at a point where I am going to make my own bracket so I can adjust the tranny cable better. The carb is an Eldebrock 1604. I put this carb on it shortly after my wife bought me the car. I had a Holley but the Holley had a warped base causing it to to have a bad vacuum leak and run really badly.

Is the torque converter locking up too soon? Don't know anything else about these fancy new transmissions. (25+ years old isn't that new, is it)

Bruce

Do you have the adapter kit so the cable pulls correctly ? The Edel carb does not pull the cable the same distance/time as a Q-Jet . Check this link for the kit: http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/catalog/catalog.php?Action=GETSUBCAT&CATID=WA3A1