restoring side trim

I don't remember if it was on this site how to clean up the aluminum side trim. I know that they are anodized. So is there a trick to get them looking good again? Mine are straight but scungy looking. I do have 1 extra dented one to experiment with.

Hey George, my friend gave me some never dull to use on all my trim pieces. It wasnt in the origional can and I didnt know if it would work or make things worse so I took a chance and used it..well I have to tell you all the chrome came out fantastic and the rocker moldings came up great too. If your interested in using the stuff I'd read the label 1st then go for it.

I thought the side moulding was stainless? If so, I saw a really good methood of restoring the stainless on the DIY show that does car restoration. I was planning on doing mine that way, but if it is indeed anodized, I guess that plan is out, huh?

Jim

Then I guess I know what I am going to have to buy! With the stainless piece, just go to diynet.com and look for the classic car restoration part. They had one show that had them restoring stainless. They used fine sandpaper, all the way down to about 6000 grit, and then using the polishing compounds on the polishing wheel, and the stainless came out looking brand new. That was after they removed dents and minor imperfections, too! I was amazed. I bet there is a link, or you could ask them for instructions. I was planning on doing all my moulding that way, but I also thought it was all stainless. Good luck!

Jim

George, my book on restoring auto trim has a section about doing aluminum, but they don't even mention how to get past the anodizing. I did a quick search online for removing anodizing, and there are places that sell the chemicals required but they never say what the chemicals are. There are also a bunch of do-it-yourselfers using oven cleaner or lye, but the stuff eats aluminum faster that it eats anodizing. It looks as if the aluminum turns a dark grey as well. It might be fun to experiment, but it sounds like a lot of work.

I got so many projects going that I havn't gotten to it yet. I want to try to polish the anodizing without stripping it. I found my Never-Dull and was going to try that. If it gets to stripping it, I think we would be better off just buying repos. As stated, I have a few extra pieces to experiment with if I can just get time.

Finally started work on these today.Started by using super fine steel wool first. then buffing the anodize. This worked out quite well finishing on the wheel without burning anodise with plastic compound, but most pieces turned out to be so badly pitted and chipped that I'm looking to replace them. cry