Air Cleaner Problem, Wouldn't Pass Inspection

justin85xx3

I took my 72 Monte Carlo to get inspected yesterday and the shop wouldn't pass it because my air cleaner doesn't connect to the exhaust properly. I'm thinking about installing an aftermarket air cleaner but I'm having some trouble finding one that will fit my 2 barrel carburetor.

IMG_0566.jpg

^ How this is any different than an after market air cleaner I have no idea.

IMG_0567.jpg

^ My carburetor is a 2 barrel and the hole where the air cleaner connects to the carburetor 3" wide.

IMG_0568.jpg

^ There is also a vacuum hose(?) connecting from the carburetor to the air cleaner that I have highlighted here in yellow.

350-4222.jpg

I like the triangle Edelbrock air cleaners like this, but everything that I can find online say they only fit 4 barrel carburetors. Also, I don't know what to do about that vacuum hose(?) that connects to the carburetor if I went with this option. Thoughts/Ideas?

Justin if they won't pass it because you're missing the heat stove why would they pass it with a custom air cleaner? Texas doesn't have any exemtions for classic cars? You might start by PMing Jared Richey, he has a lot of parts and connections, a Chevelle probably uses the same piece too....

Justin,

you say it wouldn't pass inspection? As in emission control? Here in Cali our cars are exempt from emission (pre '75 I think) control. Do you know how strict they are in your state?

First: I see more than the "thermostatic controlled air cleaner" assy not hooked-up? Was there an issue with the choke at all? It's not hooked up in the picture at all? Also I see the exhaust manifold baffle (exhaust shroud) missing.. in our cars the pre heater hose is a formed metal hose.

Second: Will they allow an after market cleaner at all? If so you need and adapter from a 2bbl air horn to a 4bl,,that may be easy to find. Maybe not? Being a 2bl carb is not too performance minded.

Third: consider whether you're keeping the car stock or not? Of course that would depend if your state has exempt regulations or not, in some states they'll waiver certain items if it's too costly to return to emission control worthy status?

Hooking both the choke assy & thermostatically controlled air cleaner assembly is fairly easy. It's gathering the missing pieces that will be tough.

let's start with pictures.. that's always easy. the other piece of the hose goes to manifold vacuum... it doesn't say? That's the hose highlighted in yellow? If you decide to go with the after market cleaner.. plug the port at the carb.

ThermostaticAirCleaner.gif

I had the same problems years ago. I simply put a cheap aftermarket air cleaner (as mentioned before) and took the car to another inspection station. If not sure where to have it inspected, explain your problem to auto parts employees and they should be able to help you....