Imported quarter panels?

Hey everybody, getting ready to start cutting out the rust on my monte. Doing some research because I'm in the market for rear quarters. Found out most vendors have imported quarter panels. OPGI says theirs are stamped here in the USA but they're on the Left Coast and shipping is expensive. Any opinions on imported sheet metal would be greatly appreciated. Those who've used them and their experiences with vendors, with fitment and quality before and after paint. Thanks!

Shermanparts.com is where I got the pr for our 71 and they fit pretty good. Check their distributors for someone in your area and you can save alot on shipping. #770-50AL and 770-50AR.

You'll need to prime and block them well, but any repro or original parts will be that way. They come up just a little short at the bottom, where they meet the rocker, between the door and the wheel opening. Just cut the original qtr an inch or so above the factory joint there and use that metal to join the new qtr and the problem is solved. I welded the left side on and then was told about how to bond it with epoxy instead. I used the epoxy method on the other side and it was easier and I should have done both that way.

258529189.jpg

258529184.jpg

I put the new panel behind the original at the top joint, with a 3/4" overlap, and used dowel rods every 5 or 6" to push the new panel out against the old . Used clamps or screws at the other edges.

258530075.jpg

Lord Adhesives is the brand I used and you'll want to "sharpen" the edge of the outer panel for a smooth transition. I did a butt weld on the front edge of the qtr, just a 1/4" or so inside the door opening and used a mig on that joint. Ground the weld smooth and skim coated it with fiberglass filler to waterproof it.

258529202.jpg

Here's how it looked after blocking with only the EDP coating on it.

263219069.jpg

267558982.jpg

Dan

you do good work. you need to come up one day and we could do my quaters. are you saying you glued one side of your car? im doing my drivers fender now but its worse than what i thuoght. im learning tho.

Ive been trying to figure out if I need to overlap or butt weld. Ive heard boyh ways. Then this weekend I heard about glueing them on. Ive got a buddy who just bought a 70 442 and been goin to shows and cruises with him. Its keepin me in the mood. we are going to super chevy here in couple weeks.