Remote Mirror Rebuild-Anyone ever pulled this off?

Okay, I took an old chrome style remote mirror and had it re-chromed and it came out great, thats the good news. The bad news is, in order to rechrome one of these, you basically have to tear the thing apart because the remote knob is too large to fit through the hole of the base. So what you have to do is disengage the little pot metal ring from the wires that hold the mirror in place. Thing is, the pot metal ring is so fragile it broke when I was taking the knob off. My question is, can an automotive glass shop fix this kind of thing? Are parts like the pot metal retainer ring possible to find?

I know it has been done. I followed the story here. George Lines and Katzman took on the project and found those solutions.

Try the search function?

http://www.firstgenmc.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000281#000000

When I rebuilt mine years ago, I disassembled it by carefully opening the slots where the cable casings are crimped in with a dremeal and a slotting grinding wheel. I did the same with the point where the cable ends are crimped as well. After this loosened the cable casings and ends, I pulled the cable assemblies carefully out of the housing and the knob control. Everthing is spring loaded, so overcoming this spring tension made it very easy to slide them out.

When I reassembled everything, I didn't recrimp anything, I don't think I even applied any CA type glue, just pulled it all together. It's still working.

This method keeps it all looking stock and doesn't change the actuating cable lengths.

Good luck,

Tom