Turbo 400 shifting funny

BADSS70

I have an SS 454 with turbo 400 trany - all original. Lately, when I accelerate, the trany feels like it shifts to early and than will down shift and up shift again quickly. Any ideas of what this could be?

fluid looks clean and red. It seems like the trany is shifting from 1st to third and down shifting to second and back to third. this happens only when I am pushing the car a little hard. Otherwise it shifts in order but still it feels early.

• 2 weeks later...

a vacuum leak at the modulator will cause higher shift points. Pull the vacuum line and the trans will not shift until it hits the governors shift points.

Could that be what you are feeling?

• 2 weeks later...

Change the modulator and things got a little better but the problem still occurs. It happens less frequently. I am going to check the kick down switch near the gas pedal next.

thanks

Governor Oil Pressure and Modulator Oil Pressure are used to control your upshifts. Strictly Governor Pressure is used to control downshifts. For a forced 3-2 downshift, there is an electric solenoid activated by a switch located either on your accelerator pedal, or it could even be on the carburetor. Since this circuit is only used to control a downshift under heavy load, I don't know if this is a primary area of concern. If the weights on the governor are sticking, it could raise the line pressure and force it to shift earlier regardless of engine vacuum (modulator pressure). Is is possible that the 2-3 shift valve is sticking?