Overcharging?

Andy Gargagliano

Finally got my 72 Monte running.Put about 200 miles on it and it is running fantastic.It has a MSD ready to run distributor,SSblaster coil and MSD 8.5 wires.Original alternater was rebuilt and new voltage regulater installed.Voltage reg.is the good one made in the USA not from China.When the engine is idleing the volt gage is at 14 volts.When I am driving the gage is at 16 volts?Had the alternater shop recheck the alternater and voltage reg and they both checked out ok.So should I assume if all checks out ok that 16 volts is ok.I thought 14 volts was max.Will 16 volts damage anything?If so what can i do to fix it? Thanks Andy.

Typically should be around 14.2 volts when cruising, I would think 16 volts would boil the battery eventually. Is the gauge definitely accurate that you are going by?

When my battery is low the gauge spikes above 14 as it is recharging the battery. After driving it for a while she relaxes and the regulator goes back to normal charging. My original Z28 typically runs above 14 and has since I got it.