Ignition Switch help

maasai2

I was told that the ignition switch on my 72 was probably the cause of it not starting. It appears they were right. I took out the old switch and found a replacement. Now this may seem like a silly question, but how do you get the rod that runs to the ignition reconnected to the switch? I have plugged the new switch into the harness and the car started. I really don't want to drive around starting my car with a screwdriver. blush

Any help would be great, pictures would be better.

The rod just slides into the switch before you mount it to your column(slot is on the part that slides inside the switch). On my 72 I replaced my original column with a tilt column. When I went to hook up the plug for the wiring it was backwards, or so I thought. Took the switch off the non tilt column and put it on the tilt column and the column lock worked backwards. I had to switch back to the switch that come on the tilt column and twist the harness 180 degrees and all was well.

Hi,That is why they ask you if it is a tilt or non tilt column.Yes, the arm end(90 deg.) goes into the plastic or bakelite piece that slides back and forth in the switch.check the position marks from your old switch so you have a "guide" to go by for the correct position of the switch.Of course I am assuming you mean the switch under the dash mounted to the column,or is it the key switch? If that is the case, go to www.ss396groundup.com .they have a section on this.

Yes I am referring to the switch under the dash. I do have a tilt column and I made sure to get the switch that matched mine. It's that arm end that I'm having troube getting back in place. Even looking at the old one doesn't help, it seemed to have come out of the underside of the switch (no slot there). The 90 deg arm is pointing straight up from the column, is that the way it should be?

Yes the rod sticks straight up and the lost is right next to the mounting bracket. The base of the switch is usually tan and where the metal meets the plastic at the angle of the bracket is the slide for the rod to slide onto. I know exactly what I am saying but it may not translate into words all that well.

Yes that is correct.you will see a hole in the switch(bottom side of switch toward the mounting holes) for the rod to slip into.Hold the switch above the column over the rod where it attaches(insert the wire harness before this),mounting holes to left(looking down colunm),now slide the switch up/down the column and the rod will fit into that hole and rest on top of the colunm.then bolt it to the column,(5/16" bolthead).I try the ign.now,one turn at a time to make sure it works in all positions(may want to disconnect battery)on first try.it should spring back when it goes to "start" position.you will feel tension on key switch.If not in correct position after start position it may shut car off.then you will have to adjust switch on column.I think moving it back keeps the car running.this a very small adjustment,1/16" of an inch at the most.I usually mark the colunm where the switch is before removing.you should not have any problems.That's why we are hear to help.Hope things go god for you.

Thanks for the help, you guys are great. Learned a valuable lesson with this one. The way you take a part off isn't necessarily the way to put it back on if you are following a bad repair job. The PO must have forced the switch back on which is why I was confused. I had to rotate the switch 180 degrees to get it mounted correctly. It starts better than when I bought it now.