harness

monte70car

So today I started to pull the old stock harness out of the engine bay(put it in a box for reference on where wires go)harnessremoval005.jpg. During the removal of the harness I had to drop my drives side inner fender as I originally ran the stock harness between the front fender well and the fender harnessremoval001.jpg. I did find why my blower motor would not work the power wire was not tied to the horn relay. Currently the only harness left in the engine bay is the stock A/C harness and the elec. fan box harnessremoval002.jpgharnessremoval004.jpg. The starter side of the fuse block is on the passenger side on the ground as it needs to be unhooked at the starter and it will join the light harness.

Well the new harness has come in got the fuses in the fuse box the horn relay mounted in the harness. I should start the install tomorrow afternoon working in the engine bay and moving my way to the inside of the car. I do have to figure out how to tie the factory high speed blower wire into the new harness as it's not getting it's power from the horn relay also have to do the same with the factory power wires unless it lose it's circuit breaker on the firewall which will be nice.

Sorry guys no pictures of today's progress, but I did get the starter all hooked up and moved to the dash. Getting the dash harness out was a pain but I got it out and put in the pile with the rest of the harness. The new box uses longer screws and mounts in the stock location. Got the wires run up on top of the dash just need to finish running them in their location. The bucket seat had to go so I could get comfortable in the floor pan bolting the block up.

Getting closer and closer to finishing this project and see how close I wire everything up. Here is a picture of the new fuse panel with the fuses in place wiring001-1.jpg It looks like I have to make the end for the factory windows and door locks to work wiring002-1.jpg I still have no idea on the pink color wire as it was not part of the stock harness and I don't believe it's part of the windows and door locks. I still have to make the wires for the dash box look neat or less busy wiring003-1.jpg I believe this to be the factory routing for the harness wiring004-1.jpg The new harness lays on top and some what behind the cluster wiring005-1.jpg instead of the stock style cluster plug this kit uses two different plugs to make up the 12 wires the stock plug has. The intermediate harness is run to the back seat and ready to go into the trunk, but the sub box is in the way.

After a week the harness is all installed, the harness went back in the stock covering wiring001-2.jpg and exit in the trunk just like the stock harness wiring008.jpgwiring009.jpgwiring010.jpg. Now it did come with new tail light harness but I just could not see changing out the stock harness for five single wires so I add ends to the wire and plugged them into the stock plug end wiring015.jpg

Well I gave the harness a test run tonight nothing caught on fire or short so that's a good sign. Ran into two strange things one being the horns blowing like if someone is hitting the horn or I guess it could be the key in the switch reminder grounding out some where. The other issue was the radio not cutting off when the switch is off didn't have an issue with the stock harness hooked to the original power wire. Other then that everything works like it should, I did not try my stock map light but I'm sure it works as it's getting juice all the time now not just when the key is on like original.

I got the radio taken care of the power feed wire for the stock radio pulls juice all the time even across the fuse. I ended up tie the radio into a switch hot so it works both in the on position and in the acc position like it should. I also got the door locks to work without the key being on and the windows work in both the key on and in acc. The only thing that get resolved is the horn relay swap out wires on the plug and it did not work so I'm thinking its a bad relay as all my wiring is correct.

So Robert, whats your verdict after completing everything, ease of install, quality of product, adequate instructions, correct & completeness of kit, etc.? Thinking of ordering this for myself this week. I found several suppliers selling this for $550 with free shipping, including one outside of ebay that also has a great deal on a complete power window set up for all 4 windows. Let me know your final analysis on the harness, thanks Cory.

Cory the install of the harness was easy. I can't really say I followed the directions as they tell you to start with bag A and work your way through the bags one at a time. I started with the front light harness ran the wires the same way the factory did. With the front light harness done I moved over to the engine harness and again ran the wires like stock. With the under the hood harness done I moved to the interior routing the dash harness almost like the factory did l, but since I moved to a Dakota digital dash I gain room with the cluster. It took me a while to find the right plug for my factory power Windows amd locks to get them to work right but it was worth the time. I also wire my map light to be used when the switch is off like a modem car. The quality of the kit is very nice comes with a new head light switch and a custom knob(or you can used a stock one) . As for the kit being complete and correct it is very complete as it comes with new marker light sockets, new front parking light sockets and new tail light sockets with new grouments. The harness matches the stock color wires so you can use a wire manually to tie into an old harness. I did not use the new tail light sockets nor the rear marker light sockets as I could not see running five single wires to their location so I used the factory plug in matching the new wires to the old using my power probe. My only issue I have right now is the new horn relay which I believe to be bad as it blows the horn all the time moving the wire around it would not blow at all, so I'm waiting to hear back from them. If you want a total clean look for installing a harness this kit will allow you to do that as the horn relay is moved to inside of the car wire is long enough to run between the fenders or leave it on top. If you are running a stock console it comes with a new console harness which joins the main dash harness. I studied the directions for about a week and still looked over the paper version and the pdf version.

Thanks for all the great info here Robert, I will let you know how mine goes, might be a while before I get around to it though.

If you get that horn issue figured out post your findings here

Cory I haven't heard back from AAW yet in regards to the horn relay but here is a picture of it001-32.jpg That little black box now controls the horns. This afternoon when I took that picture the horn blew once out of four tries so to me it sounds like its bad or the ground wire isn't right.

Got the horn issue fixed this morning. I had an apter plug to match up the steering column to the stock dash plug. the apter has a total of 10 wires which is what the replacement column harness had. I changed the steering column plug out with the new end and only used the 8 need wires in the dash. The two extra wires the column harness has I believe is for cruise control(color of wires green and tan). Once the new plug was put on and connected back to the dash harness the horn blew like it should. Now I wonder if that apter is why my radio fuse had power on it all the time.

• 1 month later...

Here's the best price I found, apparently AAW makes these as they are ordered, I ordered mine January 6th and I might have it next week Feb 5.

Item: 1970 - 1972 Chevy Monte Carlo American Autowire Wiring Harness 510336

URL: http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=261111612245

Alt URL: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-1972-Chevy-...6-/261111612245

For more info on this read this post too

http://www.fgmcc.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=391625&page=all

As Cory stated I got my straight from American Auto wire link is the third one Cory posted. Also as stated they build the harness when they are order so allow 3 weeks from the time you order to the time you get it(if going though American Auto wire) not sure when Cory placed his order. The main thing rather its that style of harness of a stock(glass fuse) harness just take your time make sure you have everything run where you want it before cutting or tie anything in place. For me I have one wire that looks out of place as it hangs lower then the dash which is an issue I have to address when I get finish with another project.